Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jones15
Level 7

[OS 10.5] Express 3930 causing issues with connectivity

Model 3930RW Roku Express

software version 10.5.0 build 4181-AE

When the 10.5 update rolled out my my Roku Express, it quit connecting to the network. Factory resets, reinstallations, power cycling ensued.  After a week of daily connection failures that sometimes an hour of resets, etc would fix, I actually went ahead and bought a NEW Roku express thinking that it might be better up to date. It worked out of box for the first day. Overnight, it stopped. Now it has the same daily issue where the system says the network is connected (can see the time fine, too) but when apps run, they say there's no connectivity. If I shut the Express off (unplugged) for ten minutes or so, it usually works again when it starts up (not always but it's the only thing that kind of works). But later in the day, usually after we take a break from using it for awhile, the connection issues is back. Every day.

This is the worst update issue I have ever seen and it certainly is not fixed. I have a Sharp Roku TV that is still on version 10.0 and it works daily, every time, no problem. It's just the two Expresses that have been updated to 10.5 that fail to connect properly.

All I want for a solution is to roll back to 10.0! I don't need voice interaction- my models don't even support it. I have not noticed anything useful to me in 10.5. Roku needs to give us a way to turn off automatic updates and to roll back to previous versions to maintain stability!

This is very frustrating to daily Roku users. You've basically broken two of my 3 Roku devices - even the brand new one with no way to contact customer support or to roll back the bad update. How long will we have to suffer this epic 10.5 problem? I've seen your posts about it being 'fixed' with a small update two weeks ago. It's not fixed, though.

14 REPLIES 14\
MilesT
Level 12

Re: Update 10.5 still causing issues with connectivity.

I wonder if the update is driving lower powered processors too hard causing heating issues in box (or power supply...you aren't trying to power from TV USB?)

Experiments to try..to improve cooling.

Move the boxes away from other heat sources/sunlight

Try wrapping the box in a ziploc and chilling in fridge.

Try putting an icepack on a plate, cover with thin cloth and plastic wrap, put Roku box on top.

If it is a heat problem then Roku need to review software and OS to reduce CPU to reduce heat, not easy, will need to cut features back out or optimise frequently used sections.

Long shot: also try different cables in case glitchtly cables are spiking the express, and the update tolerates this less.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
dreadprime
Level 8

10.5 4198 is still busted. I have two exact same Rokus one on 10.0 and one on 10.5. The 10.5 is a paper weight. None of the channels work. I have tried everything including a factory reset. 

RokuIrene-S
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • who is your internet provider? brand and model of your router?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

All the best,
Irene

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku TV Connectivity issues

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SolvrCasa
Level 8

Resolution:

Connect to your 5G Wi-Fi and make sure you 2.4g doesn’t have the same name . 
This was the fix for all my 10.5 issues.

Tags (2)
_Xena_
Level 9

@Momof1 

I have a similar issue. I have to keep doing a reboot in order to screen mirror/screen cast, otherwise it doesn't work, and I'm just like you, my connection is fine with everything else, it's even connected to the Roku,but it's acting like it's not. 😭 This 10.5 update is the worst! 

0 Kudos
MarthaC
Level 7

Re: [OS 10.5] Express 3930 causing issues with connectivity

Roku Stopped Working - PLEASE FIX!!  NO CONNECTIVITY - NOTHING WRONG WITH INTERNET

Issue Report Tracker

Model: 3900X - Roku Express

Serial Number: YGOODR264026 (C337AD264026)

Software Version: 10.5.0 * build 4201-51

Timestamp: 2021-11-02T21:37:32Z

Issue ID 26-440-497

0 Kudos
eschriger
Level 7

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

3930X Roku Express

x004001J61KG

v 10.5 build 4201-AS

• who is your internet provider? brand and model of your router?

xfinity

• tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

please use issue ID KG-440-489 to report the issue

• steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

I turned on my Roku and it shows “Not Connected”

I went to wireless set up and tried to connect. No change

2x I reset router and Roku. No change. 

wireless password not saving when signing on. 

I watched Roku Tuesday 11/23 til about 11pm Pacific time no issues   Tried to watch tonight 11/24 around 630pm and encountered this problem. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@eschriger ensure your wireless mode is set to b/g/n and not g/n:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.