Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bethersbie
Reel Rookie

My device has not updated to OS 10.5?

Jump to solution

I've totally tried unplugging it and replugging it in. I have let it auto update, I have manually updated and still 10.5 on my Roku 4800x. I get channel updates but no OS 10.5

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Device is on the list but no 10.5 update

Jump to solution

@Bethersbie-

An update from Roku operating system 10.0 to 10.5 is currently rolling out. The rollout proceeds, unit by unit, via some schedule known only to Roku. If you have more than one Roku, each unit may receive the update at a different time, even if they are the same Roku model. You can see your current Roku version number and when it was installed via Roku menu path Settings > System > System update. While there, you can click Check now to force a manual update check.

For whatever it's worth, I haven't received 10.5 on any of my Rokus (see signature below) yet either. [Update on November 5, it's 5 weeks after my initial post and I have received 10.5 on only 2 of my connected Rokus.] I'm in no hurry, each major release brings a handful of problems with it, and I'm happy to let them get a lot of the glitches worked out BEFORE I receive the update.

When you DO received the update -- In the past, I've found that updating the Roku software may not automatically update all channel apps that have new versions to accommodate the Roku update. Manually running an additional update check as soon as you receive the Roku update can make sure you have the latest versions of all your channel apps and prevent many update-related problems (Settings > System > System update > Check now).

And for good measure, I always do a System Restart after updating. From the Roku home screen use menu path Settings > System > System restart.  (On a Roku TV the menu path is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)

Despite having had access to the Roku update as it was being developed, some channels may take a while for their developers to issue needed updates, so a manual update check is a good first step when running into specific channel problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My device has not updated to OS 10.5?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that Roku OS 10.5 has begun rolling out to select Roku players and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming devices, including the all-new Roku Streaming Stick 4K, Roku Streaming Stick 4K+, and all Roku TV models in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Bethersbie-

An update from Roku operating system 10.0 to 10.5 is currently rolling out. The rollout proceeds, unit by unit, via some schedule known only to Roku. If you have more than one Roku, each unit may receive the update at a different time, even if they are the same Roku model. You can see your current Roku version number and when it was installed via Roku menu path Settings > System > System update. While there, you can click Check now to force a manual update check.

For whatever it's worth, I haven't received 10.5 on any of my Rokus (see signature below) yet either. [Update on November 5, it's 5 weeks after my initial post and I have received 10.5 on only 2 of my connected Rokus.] I'm in no hurry, each major release brings a handful of problems with it, and I'm happy to let them get a lot of the glitches worked out BEFORE I receive the update.

When you DO received the update -- In the past, I've found that updating the Roku software may not automatically update all channel apps that have new versions to accommodate the Roku update. Manually running an additional update check as soon as you receive the Roku update can make sure you have the latest versions of all your channel apps and prevent many update-related problems (Settings > System > System update > Check now).

And for good measure, I always do a System Restart after updating. From the Roku home screen use menu path Settings > System > System restart.  (On a Roku TV the menu path is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)

Despite having had access to the Roku update as it was being developed, some channels may take a while for their developers to issue needed updates, so a manual update check is a good first step when running into specific channel problems.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Bethersbie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did say in my post  I have manually updated several times. Usually about twice a day. So far nothing, and my other units are too old to get it.

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Bethersbie wrote:

I've totally tried unplugging it and replugging it in. I have let it auto update, I have manually updated and still 10.5 on my Roku 4800x. I get channel updates but no OS 10.5

this update seems to be having an extremely slow roll out.  it may be because of the problems that are being raised by those that have received it.  I have not received the update as of 9/30.

every time there is an update, I am always surprised by the number of apps that won't work with the new version.  the major problem seems to be that 10.5 slows things down.  I can understand smaller companies having problems but it seems to affect major companies as well.  it seems to point to poor communication and testing by Roku with developers prior to issuing an update.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Bethersbie 

You'll get it eventually. None of my devices have it. I've been a Roku users for over 10 years. I've learned that it will come when it comes. And not to all my devices at the same time. Be patient. You can't hurry it or force it.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Bethersbie wrote:

I did say in my post  I have manually updated several times. Usually about twice a day. So far nothing, and my other units are too old to get it.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first reply.  Your Roku will be eligible for the update when Roku's rollout gets to it.  You'll get it when you get it and there's nothing you can do at your end to force this eligibility.

PapaONeal
Reel Rookie

Roku 10.5.0 update status

Jump to solution

Has this gone-live? Neither of my 4K roku’ s will update. Has it gone live but there we’re substantial issues and it was removed? Apps are starting to have issues with play back and I’m getting concerned 

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Roku 10.5.0 update status

Jump to solution

Updates get rolled out slowly on a schedule that only Roku knows.  It will come eventually.  On the two Rokus I just checked it's not available yet, so you're not alone.

I honestly wouldn't expect an update to solve playback issues, so don't get your hopes up.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 10.5.0 update status

Jump to solution

reading some of the posts, it is possible that the update roll out has been delayed do to problems that have been encountered.  it would be interesting to know what happened to updates 1 through 4.  the people that have any information are probably bound from talking due to an NDA.

Express3

Roku Express not getting update

Jump to solution

Apparently there is a new Roku OS 10.5 that was release, however I checked for updates and I did not get the update. I am on Roku OS 10.0. If I could get assistance on this, I would be grateful. Thank you.

0 Kudos