Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Discontinuing Roku Streaming Stick updates???????

Jump to solution

But keep in mind that the page linked above was written almost 3 years ago and is stating which devices won't receive OS 9.2.

georgeg3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Lilscoop:

You are not alone.  I thought the same thing.  Make it vague and maybe a bunch of people will buy new devices.  Other than selling devices, how does Roku make money?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I'm sure Roku makes much more money from advertising than selling devices.  It's probably all spelled out in their various SEC required shareholder reports.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
tlugviel

New unit gets no more updates?

Jump to solution

I bought a Roku Ultra 8 months ago to make use of my new internet and now I got an email saying it won't be getting any more updates.

Is this a regular scam Roku pulls?  I haven't even had the unit a year and now it's being made obsolete? 

What kind of BS is this?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Re: New unit gets no more updates?

Jump to solution

@tlugviel 

Your Roku Ultra is not affected.

The email only concerns Roku streaming players with model number 27xx and Roku Streaming Stick with model number 3500.

Your model number can be found at Settings/System/About.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Gake
Channel Surfer

It will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

Just got an email from Roku saying my device will no longer be receiving feature updates soon, which includes updates to channels I am currently using.

Now, what is the deal with this? Just more money grabbing scheme? Is there any reason why I can't keep using my current Roku and why I "must" upgrade? I mean, I see all the new sticks they're trying to push on me are 4k. I don't even have a 4k TV.

I am currently very satisfied with my Roku as I am not even the one using it. It is located in the living room for my elderly mother so she can watch various videos to spend the time. She's not interested in any of the newer movies or their 4k whatever. So why should I be forced to spend more money, especially during such a hard financial time, on a f***ing new Roku?

DBDukes

Re: Roku Premiere no longer supported??

Jump to solution

@facets55 wrote:

I too received the email.

Can we get some kind of confirmation or comment from ROKU? 

I've searched the site and cannot find a notification of this anywhere.  

Roku accepted my response as the answer.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: It will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

That very poorly written email only applies to models starting with 27xx or the 3500 stick.  If you have one of those models it will continue to work and you won't notice any difference for a while.  It won't get any more updates and eventually channels/apps will cease to function.  You won't get whatever new and "wonderful" thing that comes along, but from what I've seen that's often not a bad thing.  Still, if I were using one of those devices I would take advantage of the discount on a new device while you can.  You may be surprised at how much better it works.

You can check your model number under Settings->System->About.  If it's not 2710, 2720, or 3500 then ignore the email, but you probably have one of those devices still linked to your Roku account.

This isn't the first time Roku has discontinued support for older models and probably won't be the last.  As Roku and the various developers add more and more (useless) **bleep** to their software the older devices just can't keep up.  It's been going on with computers since the dawn of time.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Gake
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I think their timing is just extremely poor. They should fire whoever made these decisions. We're in the middle of a 40 year inflation and everyone is tightening their belt. Whenever anything breaks, like a coffee maker, it is like trying to plug a hole in a sinking boat. My Roku is working just fine, last thing I needed was yet another thing to replace when it isn't even broken. Personally I don't even watch TV, it is for my elderly mother that lives with me. So this is a necessity for me either way if it stops working. But with the way Roku treats their customers, I might as well go with another brand of streaming devices b/c I honestly do not feel like a valued customer. The only thing Roku will get out of me is bad publicity.

Just checked their stock price. $473 to $78 in 1 year drop. Yikes! Yup. They better start firing their upper management, who are oblivious in how to run a company. What a joke.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hm, I haven’t checked their stock in a while.  It looks like the massive Roku pandemic bubble has popped and Roku now has fairly typical 5-year tech stock performance.  Tempting, (certainly more than it was a year ago!) but I think I’ll stick to index funds.