Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobinM

Cations 'Always On' Does Not Work.

Accessibility, subtitles & captioning, captions mode, always on fails to stay on for many channels, even when both ROKU and channels have been set to 'always on.'

This is very annoying to a deaf person.

Please fix, ROKU !!

21 REPLIES 21
chriswc
Reel Rookie

Re: Cations 'Always On' Does Not Work.

Sorry to hear that. I always go to MHZ Choice, as they have the best and legible subtitles. Amazon has a lousy track record with inconsistant types of fonts . Good luck with this issue .Maybe with your query and my reply might help.  C

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RobinM

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue and what are the exact settings that you are using? What specific channels are you seeing this issue occur?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Elaine6

I have the same issue on my Roku TV.  I found that if I set my captions to "Always On"  it stays until I try to watch a program on Gaia TV.  I've been experimenting and found that just going in to Gaia and selecting a program does not change the setting BUT as soon as I start to watch the program, the caption mode resets to "OFF" and stays off until I reset it using the RoKU settings option.  I have to leave my Gaia app to do this and it will stay on for my other Apps.  What has changed?  Is it the Apps?  How can we get out CC back?

B9000

Re: Captions 'Always On' Does Not Work.

Hi.

I have a TCL Roku TV.

My Closed Captions always come back on after I have turned them off. I don't need them for sports but do use them to follow dialogue on films and shows sometimes.

Regardless of settings within the apps and the TV itself being correctly chosen, they do not "stick." It's getting to be annoying.

Additionally. HBOMax Captioning does not work. I've contacted their customer tech help and they have no solution.

I've updated the apps and checked to see that Roku has updated (it is up to date).

There should be something the service could do besides the end-user having to reset the device or TV to the manufacturer's default and then re-sign into all the apps without any guarantee that those actions will correct the issue.  

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@B9000 

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue for you but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jusaskin
Channel Surfer

I am also having trouble with captions. I'm watching ROKU CHANNEL LIVE TV. No captions. I have ALWAYS ON selected, no captions. I go to SETTINGS and ensure that ALWAYS ON is selected for captions...no captions. Sling works fine with captions, but MANY other channels do not. WTF is going on with Roku and not offering the LEGAL REQUIREMENT to show closed captioning??? I have reached out with NO solutions! Maybe I need to contact the FCC and report this? Would prefer to just HAVE CAPTIONS!

chriswc
Reel Rookie

I was just trying to lend support for Robin M and her very real plight of no consistent captions and being deaf. I hoped by my replying it might get your attention, and I hope it helped.   Sorry for delay in response , I had shoulder replacement . I meant well ,Chris

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jusaskin

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What channel are you using and what content are you trying to watch? Can you provide a tracker ID when the issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Onshisan
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing the same issue with my TCL Roku TV. Despite selecting “on always” for captions, they keep turning off in apps like Disney+ which use Roku’s system-wide caption settings. 

Steps to reproduce: launch Disney+ channel, view content, notice lack of captions. Issue is temporarily resolved by selecting “on always” in Roku settings. Issue recurs again within one week. Unclear why it keeps happening, as no changes are made to caption settings (we always want captions to be turned on).

0 Kudos