Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cao-2000

Audio Dropouts On 4660X Ultra & 9.4

Feels like Deja Vu, I remember past updates would sometimes bring audio dropouts just like this one. I am on a 4660X.

About every few minutes the audio just drops or goes low for a second or two and then back to normal.

I am seeing it on Plex on a video with EAC3 5.1, but have also started to see it on Netflix, so I suspect it is a Roku issue, and sure hope they fix it quickly.

This is exactly the reason why I have an Apple TV & Fire TV. When one software update goes bad, you have a couple of backups.

I also have a Caavo and Yamaha receiver in the mix, so I’m sure that isn’t helping things.

Anyone else notice a similar issue with 9.4?

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Firestorm59
Binge Watcher

Audio issues with Plex app after 9.4 Update Roku Ultra

Hi all,

After upgrading my Roku Ultra 4670x to 9.4 OS I have lost all audio codec support except for AAC stereo.

When playing even standard AC3 2.0 the Plex app transcodes this to AAC stereo and reports “audio stream is not compatible”. Same for all DTS and eAC3 formats.

I have checked the Roku audio settings and nothing has changed or can be changed there, same in Plex. My setup is the same it has been for 2 years.

Also the Roku’s “volume modes” are grayed out in all apps. When I hover over the in-app menu it says “automatic volume modes have not been enabled”. There has never been an option to turn these on or off.

Please let me know if this is a Roku or Plex issue

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Audio issues after 9.4 Update Roku Ultra

1.) Highlight Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto detect - What codec support is stated (for the connected device)? Is Settings/Audio/Audio mode=Auto? (if HDMI=PCM-stereo or Audio mode=Stereo, you'll be limited to PCM 2.0 output)

2.) What other apps are you using/testing aside from Plex to determine codec support levels? (NetFlix (DD+)? RMP (AAC, DD, DD+, DTS, etc)? Roku Channel (DD)?)

3.) If "volume mode" is disabled, change Settings/Audio/HDMI=PCM-Stereo and Settings/Audio/Audio mode=Stereo, RESTART your Roku, open an app (e.g. Roku Channel), start playback of any content, press options (*), modify "Volume mode" as you see fit (make sure you disable any modes you dont want - all will disable multichannel audio), change your Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto detect and Settings/Audio/Audio mode=Auto, RESTART again.

Firestorm59
Binge Watcher

Thank you so much for posting point number 3, this fixed issue long enough for me to work out what's going on.

I've discovered it's a bug brought in with the new 9.4OS interacting with the Plex app. I'm able to reproduce the issue very reliably.

The problem comes with leaving "force direct play" on in the Plex app. The bug triggers when I play a "volume mode" compatible stream (like AAC stereo), switch to night mode, and stop the file. If I then try to play a file with a non-"volume mode" compatible stream (like Dolby or DTS) with both "force direct play" and "night mode" still on, Roku disables all volume mode options in all apps and reports that my AVR equipment can't play any Dolby or DTS. With previous OS it would only disable "volume modes" for the currently playing Dolby/DTS stream and then revert, now it disables these modes permanently. It makes Plex transcode all these formats to AAC until I perform the steps you outlined above to reset it.

It's a really infuriating bug but the only solution when leaving "force direct play on" is to either not forget to turn volume modes off before playing a non-AAC stereo audio stream, or simplest is to leave the direct play option as "auto" not "forced" in Plex.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Make sure you report this both to Roku and Plex:

Roku:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options (setup/ultra/other/need more help)

or message @RokuDanny-R 

Plex:

https://www.plex.tv/contact/

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Firestorm59 

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Firestorm59
Binge Watcher

Hi @RokuDanny-R @

Thanks for the prompt response. Here's the info you asked for:

Plex version 6.6 build 16

Tracker ID 31-471-548

Since writing the previous post, I have discovered a number of other scenarios where the Roku "volume modes" will brick when using Plex. This mostly occurs when Roku requests for Plex to transcode 6.1 or 7.1 channel audio down to AAC stereo in addition to the above.

Let me know if you need any more info and any outcomes. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Firestorm59 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny 

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
searvy
Channel Surfer

I have a Roku Ultra (2019) and I am also experience audio drops with MKVs with EAC3 audio. It's been happening since the 9.4 update. Is there an update?

admrusty

Re: Audio Dropouts On 4660X Ultra & 9.4

I have this same issue on 10.5.0 build 4208-46. It’s so annoying that I’ve stopped using my Roku and now use my PlayStation for streaming video. 

Any updates on from Roku?

0 Kudos