Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeachyGA
Reel Rookie

Arbitrary Wallpaper Changes - advertising!

Jump to solution

I wish Roku would stop arbitrarily updating set wallpaper with the latest ‘ads’ promoting whatever the hot topic is of the moment.  This morning it was football (haven’t watched TV in a while so might have been before today) and a week or two or ago it was something else - Disney, maybe.  Please stop…it’s annoying and unnecessary.  Don’t like the fact that my wallpaper setting is being overridden automatically by Roku (or whoever) to advertise something.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Arbitrary Wallpaper Changes - advertising!

Jump to solution

@PeachyGA, you don't have "Wallpaper updates" under Settings->Theme?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@PeachyGA 

It used to only be used for seasonal changes as was indicated by the old name of this feature (Seasonal Wallpaper).  However, it is now being used for different seasons, promotions, and events. (new name is Wallpaper Updates).

---

To disable this feature and retain your user-set Wallpaper, change this setting under Themes setting.

( Settings/Theme/Wallpaper Updates/ [Off] )

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ancestryhunter
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree!!! It's frustrating and unproductive, especially since I don't watch football, or Disney at this point in my life.  It'd be nice if we could opt out of these "hot topics" of the day.

@PeachyGA wrote:

I wish Roku would stop arbitrarily updating set wallpaper with the latest ‘ads’ promoting whatever the hot topic is of the moment.  This morning it was football (haven’t watched TV in a while so might have been before today) and a week or two or ago it was something else - Disney, maybe.  Please stop…it’s annoying and unnecessary.  Don’t like the fact that my wallpaper setting is being overridden automatically by Roku (or whoever) to advertise something.  

ancestryhunter
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The ESPN PHOTO for college football is nine times the size of my preferred and subscribed channels. I've turned update themes off but it remains. Apparently I am not allowed to delete it.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@ancestryhunter 

That ESPN photo you are seeing is likely in the ad section on the right hand side of the screen.  There is no Roku setting to disable that.

Sometimes Roku will place an additional ad on the left side under the Home Screen menu.  Usually the only way to get rid of that one is to switch to a different wallpaper.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

PeachyGA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wish that were the case (small ad, lower right hand corner) but it’s not.  They completely change the actual wallpaper (using the big green leaves).  

PeachyGA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Don’t see anywhere within Settings to retain user-selected wallpaper and/or anywhere that might resolve the issue.  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@PeachyGA, you don't have "Wallpaper updates" under Settings->Theme?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
PeachyGA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Should have paid closer attention…found it.  Hope it works.  Thanks!!!

Jump to solution

There is no setting to keep this from happening. I am perfectly capable of deciding what wallpaper I want. I do not need ROKU to change my preference for me. Please stop doing this.