Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpnine
Reel Rookie

Re: Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

The solution will probably be another software update to squash the bug causing this issues. It will take some time. 

0 Kudos
stemcgoo

Roku Express 4k - Airplay is unstable

I could do with some advice as I seem to have a really variable experience when using Airplay on Roku Express 4K with my iPhone XS (trying to mirror/airplay NFL Game Pass).  I've tried to set out the issues below, although this is still a little random in respect of whether things happen "every time" or just "most of the time"....

1. Airplay is all set up, I get the Airplay settings screen when I first select my Roku from the iPhone airplay menu.  (ie. it doesnt immediately start streaming what is on the iPhone, it opens the Airplay settings screen)

2. It seems like I then need to press "play" on my iphone for streaming to start on the Roku.

3. At this point I really do get a bunch of different options on what can go wrong....

3.1 It plays ok

3.2 I get a black screen and nothing happens - my iPhone seems to be trying to play and keeps pausing/unpausing...

3.3. after a period of pausing/unpausing I may get "the video content cannot be played"....

4 Basically at the point when the content doesnt want to be airplay, nothing will fix it.  I disconnect Airplay (and the content plays fine on my iphone) and re-establish the airplay connection, but it just doesnt want to work. (only fix seems to be restart the Roku then its back to point 1)

5. The Roku not working seems to always follow a pause, or when the Roku goes into a screensaver mode, and potentially following the end of a video/episode.  It also frustratingly on at least one occasion just happens when it wants so it bucks all attempts to predict and I can get kicked out of a successful stream for no apparent reason.

All other aspects of the App playback (channels and network connection are fine - Wifi 6 Home Mesh, Excellent quality and strength of signal, 200mbps broadband....) are ok, as are playback from the iPhone and also when connected to other devices like Apple TV or Chromecase.

Its coming to the point where I am thinking my Roku us faulty.

0 Kudos
newuser12

Re: Airplay and casting video don't work on Roku Express 4k+ 3941x running 10.5.0

Just bought a Roku Express 4K+ today. Tried to cast video using Airplay from my macbook air to the Express and it just won't work. Time after time, it sends me to the Airplay settings screen.

Then, after trying for 20 minutes, I did something - I have no idea what - and it started working. With significant stuttering and sometimes out-of-synch audio.

Obviously, something ain't right.

I'm using a 2018 MacBook Air running Mojave 10.14.5, streaming (or trying) to a Vizio D-Series 32" TV, 720p, 2021 model. Home wifi network is 802.11ac.

0 Kudos
mnw999
Streaming Star

I reached out to Apple requesting they drop Roku TVs from the HomeKit and Airplay compatibility pages. It's been 4 weeks since AirPlay/HomeKit functionality was disabled in the 10.5 update. Support indicates with their weeks of silence that a resolution is not a priority??

0 Kudos
coolhany

Hi @RokuMary-F 

Thank you for your response here. Any luck yet?

0 Kudos
brotatori
Channel Surfer

Re: 10.5 broke Airplay/HomeKit on all my TVs

ive had the same issue for weeks and roku support has not been helpful. always worked prior to 10.5

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you have not already, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-do you see Airplay or Homekit in Settings
-when did you start seeing this issue occur?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mnw999
Streaming Star

@RokuDanny-R @RokuMary-F 

Here's my TV info again for (both/2) TCL Roku TVs:

Roku TV 1
7118X
TCL model
Serial number
YS006X295838
Software version
10.5.0 • build 4210-30

Roku TV 2
7116X
TCL model
Serial number
YS0008935889
Software version
10.5.0 • build 4210-30

- Steps to reproduce are identical on both RokuTVs:

1. Reboot / Power On

2. HomeKit reports both TVs as "No Response". Does not appear in AirPlay as a target.

3. AirPlay and HomeKit settings screen crashes upon trying to view.

-do you see Airplay or Homekit in Settings Yes, I have Airplay and HomeKit in Settings. When selecting it, it shows the AirPlay logo for 2 seconds then crashes back to Settings screen. Worked fine prior to 10.5.

-when did you start seeing this issue occur? 10.5 update about 5 weeks ago. Then I was allowed to downgrade to 10.0 for about a week around Thanksgiving - this fixed all my issues. Forced back to 10.5 on auto-update again. Everything was trouble-free and fine on 10.0 for nearly a year.

This troubleshooting has taken a few hours of my time so far. I wish Roku Support would value the customers time and not keep asking for the same information over and over again without following up. Please escalate this issue and stop wasting our time.

See sister thread on HomeKit user's group on Reddit, dozens of users report the same exact issue and steps to reproduce. Began happening upon first 10.5 upgrade. It's all identical. 21 comments all the same:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/qw3ac7/tcl_roku_tv_update_broke_homekitairplay/

0 Kudos
lyatesjax

roku ultra not showing up for air play

ultrq was working for screen mirroring, dont think we made any changes but now it wont work only our express shows up from the other room

0 Kudos
destanin00
Reel Rookie

Re: Airplay not working on Roku Express 3930RW

my airplay isn’t working on my roku 7822X.

i’ve restarted it,

ive turned airplay on and off and it’s still not working. it pops up but won’t connect.

they are connected to same wifi.  

0 Kudos