Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKevin
Visitor

v2.9 SDK Now Available

It's time to update your SDK.... Among other goodies, this latest release documents:

• Developer control of the Up button behavior on the top row of the Grid Screen
• Stackable Grid Screens
• How to launch the Channel Store to purchase a “Premium” channel from within a “Lite” channel
• How to get ID3 tags and other metadata from your audio files
• How to get EXIF and other metadata from your image files

Download it on the developer home page: https://owner.roku.com/Developer/DevHome

--Kevin
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: v2.9 SDK Now Available

Great! Thanks!

"RokuKevin" wrote:
• How to launch the Channel Store to purchase a “Premium” channel from within a “Lite” channel

Nice add, but I'm curious as to how you can code it unless you release the premium channel first, wait for approval/publishing, and then install it to get the content/plugin ID via ECP query. It seems like you'd have to wait to submit the Lite version until after the premium version is approved (and then wait again for the Lite version to be approved). Ideally, you'd want to release them at the same time, so users could try it out before buying...

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the content ID prior to approval/publishing in the store? Can you reliably make assumptions based on the "beta" (unsubmitted) ID of the channel?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:

Nice add, but I'm curious as to how you can code it unless you release the premium channel first

I suspect if the channels are released at the same time, or if the premium version comes later, that we'll have to submit an update to the "lite" channel. Maybe if it's the same time Roku can reserve and supply an id for the premium version before it's been submitted if it's requested of them...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Hmm, the video encodings table has different average video bitrates listed now. Is that just because you have found that's more in line with the reality, or is there something else we should read into that?

H.264 SD was 384Kbps - 1.6Mbps, now 384Kbps – 2.0Mbps
H.264 HD was 1.6Kbps – 3.2Mbps, now 1.6Kbps – 4.5Mbps (Note the typo for the low end)
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

TheEndless,

Your app id will be assigned to the channel when it is created, not published. If your app id looks like "1234_a", then the published app id will be "1234".

kbensen,

We have optimized our stream graph for better performance and can now handle the higher bitrates. So the encodings table bitrate change is indeed due to a change in the firmware.

--Kevin
0 Kudos