Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loughlin
Visitor

straming a webcam to roku channel live

Hi all can any one point me in the right way to fix an easy fix, I have a very basic roku channel up and now cant my head round code roku say to use so i have been mp4s videos and xml code to pull them from my hosted space and now I have hit a wall and just want to know if any one knows of how to stream a desktop webcam to a roku channel and can the code that need to be used can be in xml html or php I no this would see nothing to your self who are kings at coding but im only good at php html and xml and if any one has bits of code i could use ando to do is add my links in to it and then just ftp up to my sever to make it work on the channel, i be for ever in your debt hope any one can help. :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: straming a webcam to roku channel live

First, you need to encode the stream from your webcam. Probably the least expensive solution is to install Adobe's free Flash Media Live Encoder, but you will probably need to purchase the AAC plugin for it.

Second, you will need to configure your server to stream in HLS format. Most people use Wowza for this, but there are other options, for example Flash Media Server. Most are not free. You might try something like this though:

http://blog.kyri0s.org/post/271121944/d ... -gnu-linux

Since you are 'good at PHP, HTML and XML', you might consider pooling your resources with someone on the forum who isn't good at those things, but is good at developing Roku channels.

One suggestion: the font manipulation bbs codes are fun, but you will likely get better responses to your posts by just using normal text, unless you are posting source code, in which case, of course, use the code tag.

- Joel
0 Kudos