Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

roChannelStore/billing docs = ancient & incorrect

After trying to use it, turns out the docs on Roku Billing Services are years behind the implementation. Which is out-of-this-world, because if an API is un/under/wrong-documented, it is unusable. How can dev.blog recently promote Roku's billing services with a straight face?!

Most problematic is ifChannelStore, talking about non-existing fields like SDPosterUrl, HDPosterUrl, description - while missing others. Neighboring pages also have issues, e.g. roChannelStore has an old version of "Web Service API" shoveled into it - but now there is a separate page named "Web Service API" (i did not scrutinize these but is confusing to have 2 different sources for the same info and i bet one of them is less correct).

To lend a hand in (hopefully) fixing that page - and as note-to-self - here is what different functions (async)return in real world these days:
"freeTrialQuantity: 0 ' ^
freeTrialType: "None"
name: "blah de blah"
productType: "NonConsumable"
purchaseDate: "0001-01-01T00:00:00"
qty: 1
}]

"freeTrialQuantity: 29
}]

"amount: "$1.99"
code: "raga-no-ads"
description: "blah de blah"
freeTrialQuantity: 232 'NB. value varies, seems random!
total: "$1.99"
}]

"freeTrialQuantity: 1644301318 'NB. value varies!^^
purchaseId: "xxxxxxxx-cc06-46dc-8b75-a63azzzzzzzz"
total: "$0.00"
}]

"
[{
code: "raga-no-ads"
cost: "$1.99" ' buggy ^^^
freeTrialQuantity: 0
freeTrialType: "None"
productType: "NonConsumable"
purchaseDate: "2016-07-05T07:32:14"
purchaseId: "xxxxxxxx-cc06-46dc-8b75-a63azzzzzzzz"
}]

Also note that doOrder():
  • when user-canceled, returns a misleading roChannelStoreEvent, as if it were completed okay

• doOrder() on already purchased item shows "Item has already been purchased. This item has already been purchased for this account.", then returns false and event.getResponse() = [ ]

• doOrder() on already purchased qty:1, this time for qty:2 shows "Order Problem. There was a problem placing your order (error code 006).", then returns false and event.getResponse() = [ ]

(^) I am rather unclear about freeTrialQuantity, freeTrialType, purchaseDate, qty - as to why they are in the catalog and what the meaning might be. The presence of the "red items" seems questionable altogether
(^^) freeTrialQuantity value jumps seemingly randomly - smell of corrupted memory (uninitialized/overflow/dangling pointer?)
(^^^) Notice there is a bug in the `cost` returned by getPurchases() - it does not show the actual amount paid (e.g. test user pays 0 but it will still show $1.99) nor does it show the price at the time of purchase. Instead it shows the current price. E.g. say customer purchased item before for $5 but today it's on sale for $1; getPurchases() will show the past transaction with today's $1 price.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: roChannelStore/billing docs = ancient & incorrect

Here is one more problematic spot:
"doOrder()" wrote:
... If the user approves the order, this function returns true. Otherwise it returns false. In the case that the user approves^, the channel should wait for and respond to^^ the roChannelStoreEvent.isRequestSucceeded event to get the details of the completed transaction.

From my experience using the API so far, there are 2 issues in that statement, which i highlighted:

(^^) There is no way to "respond" to a roChannelStoreEvent. As worded it may leave wrong impression txn is not completed until app consumes the event. Not the case - it's just there is an event "clogging" the port - and also it's generally expected one to check details from the txn.

(^) There will be an event waiting regardless if doOrder() returns true or false. So that event has to be "drained" from the queue or you'll run out-of-sync with the next roChannelStore operation (e.g. getPurchases())
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Enterr, we introduced a SceneGraph ChannelStore node in OS 7.2 which is a bit of a refresh on roChannelStore. Why don't you take a look and let us know what you think?

Docs: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ChannelStore
Overview blog post: https://blog.roku.com/developer/2016/07 ... ing-guide/
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuTomC" wrote:
Hi Enterr, we introduced a SceneGraph ChannelStore node in OS 7.2 which is a bit of a refresh on roChannelStore. Why don't you take a look and let us know what you think?

Hey RokuTomC - welcome to the forum!

Afraid i am not in position to take the "SG" pill on this. I am doing a hybrid (w/NDK) app and SG is not going to go well with that, now would it?

Thinking of it, there being 3 distinct interfaces to billing ("classic" roChannelStore, via NDK and now the "du jour" Node) - these are just thin veneers over the web services, right. So i imagine you are keeping them cohesive/coherent?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Meanwhile, seems the latest&greatest "ChannelStore" SG is DoA (dead-on-arrival), have a look at https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96119 
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

Oof, It would be really great if Roku could make sure the docs are updated, especially for something as critical as billing APIs. 
0 Kudos