Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devnullpointer
Streaming Star

onKeyEvent different on Roku 4K Stick vs Roku TV

My channel uses the Options (*) button to access certain functionality within my app, so I use onKeyEvent extensively and at different levels of the chain. The issue I have is that the Options(*) button on the Roku stick seens to be always triggering the video options overlay on a Roku 4K Stick where on a Roku TV it works as expected.

I'm using the Timegrid scene with an embedded video node, which never has focus, I made sure of it an debug logs confirm it. On Roku TV the Options(*) button works as expected, my onKeyEvent gets triggered and key press is handled accordingly, on the Roku 4K stick onKeyEvent never gets triggered.

OnKeyEvent docs (https://developer.roku.com/en-ca/docs/references/scenegraph/component-functions/onkeyevent.md) state that the video options overlay gets triggered ONLY when the video node has focus.

such that the Options overlay now slides in whenever the Options button is pressed, the Video node is in focus, and the app does not have its OnKeyEvent() handler fired

This seems to be respected on RokU TV but not on the 4K Stick.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: onKeyEvent different on Roku 4K Stick vs Roku TV

How large is your embedded video mode?  Weather the options key is intercepted depends on if the video is full screen, and some devices may decide that a video is full screen even it it's not set to fill 100% of the image, depending on the low-level device implementation.

0 Kudos
devnullpointer
Streaming Star

Re: onKeyEvent different on Roku 4K Stick vs Roku TV

Thanks for replying Ben, the video node defined for that screen is below 25% the full screen resolution. I belive I have it set to 360w x 202h

0 Kudos