Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veeta
Visitor

mm_icon_focus_fhd resolution?

Is there a resolution for mm_icon_focus_fhd?  It shows up in the manifest file docs, but the only reference I can find for it are github examples like https://github.com/rokudev/hero-grid-channel/blob/master/manifest where all the mm_icon_focus values are reusing channel store images.  IOW, the resolutions for mm_icon_focus_sd and mm_icon_focus_hd don't match the documentation's requirements.  Any guidance here?  

If we don't know the resolution of fhd icons on the main menu, can we know how the images will be scaled if backups are used (e.g. using _hd for _fhd image)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: mm_icon_focus_fhd resolution?

"Veeta" wrote:
Is there a resolution for mm_icon_focus_fhd?  It shows up in the manifest file docs, but

Pulling this out of my ace but given that mm_icon_focus_hd is spec'd as 336x210 for HD=1280x720, 
since FHD=1920x1080 is x1.5 bigger in each dimension, i speculate mm_icon_focus_fhd should be 504x315 ?

the only reference I can find for it are github examples like https://github.com/rokudev/hero-grid-channel/blob/master/manifest where all the mm_icon_focus values are reusing channel store images.  IOW, the resolutions for mm_icon_focus_sd and mm_icon_focus_hd don't match the documentation's requirements.  Any guidance here?

Yeah, um - Roku evangelists's examples: not the best examples in the world. I had to throw a mini-tantrum on twitter for @rokudev to even notice it's not okay promoting a template (the infamous "SThree") which on network issues barfs in render console and hangs - while there is a top, "P1" priority requirement when publishing (as well as common sense) that a channel should not crash or hang. So there is that "do as I say, not as I do" preachy moment.

If we don't know the resolution of fhd icons on the main menu, can we know how the images will be scaled if backups are used (e.g. using _hd for _fhd image)

Do we care though? Given that mm_icon_focus_* icons are only used when Roku player boots disconnected from the Net, otherwise images from the dev.portal are used?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

The documentation definitely needs to be updated on this.  As EnTerr noted, the mm_icon_xxxs are only used when sideloading or when the channel store cannot be contacted (the _side versions are never used).  Otherwise, the icons you chose when publishing your channel are used.  Using the documented dimensions will result in stretched/squashed icons in the event that they are used.  Therefore, I'd recommend using the same dimensions as the channel store icons (or, indeed, the same icons, as you saw in the examples you referred to).  SD=214x144, HD=290x218, FHD=540x405
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

The sizes given in RTFM are wrong? Sheesh, my naiveté has no bounds... believing what i read in RokuCo's documentation!

This made me curious to see what are the real dimensions of the images on screen?
Here is what i find, in FHD (1920x1080😞

• the app icon in Home screen is 290x218 - as well as the ECP query/icon

• the image in the channel details screen (e.g. Channel Store) is 540x405

Since the layout is unchanged in HD (1280x720), that means the corresponding sizes there are 193x145 and 360x270 - these apparently are scaled from... who knows. So naming these sizes "HD Poster" and "FHD Poster" in the portal is a misnomer, apparently. And i still have no clue what sizes are appropriate for mm_icon_focus_*
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

Thanks for the analysis.  We generated a 504x315 image for mm_icon_focus_fhd, derived exactly how EnTerr suggested.  But I agree that sideloaded channels always have a stretched icon and maybe are documented wrong.  It could be that these are for the legacy Roku main menu (circa 3.1?) where the main menu looked like roPosterScreen.  But I'm not sure why they would add mm_icon_focus_fhd at all if that's the case.  

Bottom line is that we couldn't force these mm_icon_focus_xxx images to display so it's merely checking the box for channel approval.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We don't require an mm_icon_focus_fhd and hopefully we will eventually stop requiring the HD and SD focus images in the .pkg file as they are only of slight use. I believe the reference in that linked github doc to be an error.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

TFM https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Manifest+File has been fixed, courtesy of RokuKC - peace and blessings be upon him!

For posterity, the correct sizes are (as foretold by TheEndless):
mm_icon_focus_fhd = 540 x 405
mm_icon_focus_hd = 290 x 218
mm_icon_focus_sd = 214 x 144
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

Thanks for the documentation updates.  This will simplify our asset generation.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

So I'm just testing some screenshots through elgato, and when my roku is 1080p, the home screen icons are not 290x218, but come out to 295x223 when I zoom in and find the outline, does anyone see similar? How did you measure 290x218?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
So I'm just testing some screenshots through elgato, and when my roku is 1080p, the home screen icons are not 290x218, but come out to 295x223 when I zoom in and find the outline, does anyone see similar?

You sizes are ~2% bigger, i bet that's because of overscan!
Don't know how that's happening between Roku and your capturer, are there any settings in said Elgato? Is this over HDMI?
To test, draw rectangle at the very edge of the screen, (0,0) - (maxX, maxY) - and see if these get clipped in the capture. If my suspicion is right, then ~1% of your programmatic screen is being chopped at each side and image gets zoomed by ~2% to fill in.

How did you measure 290x218?

Sharing my exact methodology would be embarassing, so i won't  😛
0 Kudos