Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

[WTF] Is Roku giving away the store?!

Saw this today in the web Channel Store, an app of mine is "selling" for $0.00 :
[spoiler=me equal 0:p92xp46w][/spoiler:p92xp46w]
Ugh?! Not something that i have changed or agreed on. I checked properties and indeed it should be selling for a buck. I looked around and other apps (though not all) have also been hit: [spoiler=others zeroed too:p92xp46w][/spoiler:p92xp46w]
What's happening, RokuCo?
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: [WTF] Is Roku giving away the store?!

Everything seems to have proper prices when I skim through Games channels on my Roku 3 (6:15-6:20am EST)
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

Confirm - Tangrams is showing $0.00 for me too.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

It shows $0.00 for me too. There are quite a few channels that it says I can "buy" for $0.00. However, when I try to buy any of them, after I click on the Buy button, at couple of minutes later I get a "Sorry" box with a message: "Oops. The channel could not be added due to an unexpected problem."

I get the same message if I try to add a channel that requires a payment greater than $0.00. I would expect it not to work, since I don't have a payment method associated with my account. Although I seem to recall that in the past if I tried to add a channel that required a payment, it would tell me right away that I needed to add a payment method to my account instead of keeping me waiting for a couple of minutes then giving me an "unexpected problem" error.

I'd be curious if anyone can actually "buy" a channel for $0.00 if they have a payment method on their account -- and would they get billed $0.00. Either way, the channel store seems messed up (again).
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If you have already purchased it in the past it will show as 0.00 - are you seeing this for games you have never purchased?

- Joel
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
If you have already purchased it in the past it will show as 0.00 - are you seeing this for games you have never purchased?

- Joel

Since I've never purchased anything in the past -- Yes, I'm seeing many channels on "sale" for $0.00 that I've never purchased.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Could this be related to these other billing issues that people are having: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93340?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:

- Joel

I counted 52 games and 40 screensavers that you can "Buy" for $0.00.

Another bug I just noticed: The purple navigation strip at the top of https://channelstore.roku.com/browse is messed up. If you keep clicking the left/right navigation icons to move to the next category, eventually the left/right icons disappear and you can't navigate further using them, and you end up on the category for Top Paid (which doesn't even exist in the list of categories in the navigation strip).

Is this perhaps a Beta version I'm looking at?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:

Yes. Seeing the $0.00 on some of the supposedly-paid channels which were never purchased. (And so will you - try it out^)

No on "already purchased in the past it will show as 0.00" - for these the button would say "[+ Add channel]" and not "[Buy $0.00]". Also for pre-purchased ones the popup never says "$x.xx will be charged to your Roku account." - that part is shows only for non-free, non-owned apps.

(^) make sure you are logged-in to an account first or everything will show as [+ Add channel]. When properly logged, the free and pre-owned apps will stay at [+ Add channel], the others will have a [Buy $x.xx] button.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Just adding my voice to confirm that I'm seeing the same... Here's some proof.. I've never purchased any of these:
[spoiler=Proof:2vxwoqcr][/spoiler:2vxwoqcr]
"belltown" wrote:
Is this perhaps a Beta version I'm looking at?

I think "Beta" is being kind. It took upwards of 30 seconds for the page to even render on my end, which I've come to accept as par for the course when using the Roku website.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos