Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calebv
Channel Surfer

Unable to set Poster's loadDisplayMode

Jump to solution

I have struggled all afternoon with the most basic thing: scale an image to cover a set width/height. My original image is 1000x1000. I'd like to have it center cropped and displayed in a 1000x500 container.

Here's what I believe should work:

<Poster
  uri="pkg:/images/test.jpg"
  width="1000"
  height="500"
  loadDisplayMode="scaleToZoom" />

I expect this to be identical behaviour to an html image "object-fit: cover" setting, however the image is extremely stretched.

I've tried so many things, including:

• Adding loadWidth/loadHeight with the original image size.
  • Using only loadWith/loadHeight values (no width/height).
  • Setting loadWidth/loadHeight to the desired container size and width/height to the original image size.
  • Using a network image.
  • Wrapping the Poster in a sized Rectangle
  • Wrapping the Poster in a Group
  • Combining all of the above with literally every loadDisplayMode just to get something different than a stretched image.

I've been unable to produce anything that makes any sense to me. Can someone enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcgeorge
Channel Surfer

Re: Unable to set Poster's loadDisplayMode

Jump to solution

Hi, can you try setting the uri at the very end, after all the scaling related fields are set?

reason:

In order for the load scaling options to work, the option fields must be set in XML markup before the uri field

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
jcgeorge
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, can you try setting the uri at the very end, after all the scaling related fields are set?

reason:

In order for the load scaling options to work, the option fields must be set in XML markup before the uri field

0 Kudos
calebv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Wow, I've been up and down the docs page for Poster. Only thing I can figure is my skip-the-ads vision mentally blocked that yellow box.

I will say, I studied every word of the description of width, height, loadWidth, and loadHeight properties, which is where I would expect such an important piece of information to be.

I also find it odd that they would order the properties in the docs in a way that is incompatible with certain features. I generally order properties based on the docs order.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
jcgeorge
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Glad it worked!

@calebv wrote:

Only thing I can figure is my skip-the-ads vision mentally blocked that yellow box.

No worries, I do this A LOT too haha 😅

0 Kudos