Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonzotek
Visitor

Third Party Themes

Roku to open up home screen themes to third-party developers
The company will launch the ability to replace the default Roku home screen with customized themes next month, Roku SVP of Product Management Jim Funk announced at Appsworld in San Francisco Thursday.

Developers will be able to build their own themes and sell them through Roku’s app store. These themes, or skins if you will, still follow the general Roku home screen structure, but developers will be able to swap a number of graphics to give users a chance to personalize their Roku experience.

Anyone know anything about this? Will there be documentation available before next month? I'm a terrible artist, so it's unlikely I'll be a theme-creator. But I'd be interested in them if they offered any additional functionality such as changing images/colors based on time-of-day or other programmable factors.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Third Party Themes

I'd like to know if they will be adding the ability to "theme" screensaver settings pages since they are part of the home screen.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Themes are, generally speaking, a static reskinning of the home screen UI. It remains to be seen what exactly we will allow you to change, but generally speaking, the theme is a channel with an XML file and images (the XML specifies which image goes where in the UI), and an empty sub main() function. A channel could include an installable theme and also a screensaver, so you could deliver your content along with a theme and a screensaver.

As far as I know, themes only reference images stored on the local file system.

It's an opportunity for developers with artistic skills or who want to collaborate with an artist.

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thats great Joel, when will the documentation be available?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Will we be able to generate individual themes for individual rokus on the same account? And will it work on legacy devices?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Themes ("skins") have existed for a while in the "new UI", if you remember the Halloween, Christmas etc ones plus the three pre-sets. Seems RokuCo is contemplating opening that to external devs in the form of "kind-of" channels that screen savers are.

With this in mind, my un-educated guess is that themes will be set on per-player basis and not work in legacy (horizontal strip) UI. And documentation will be made available slightly after the doco on screen savers 🙂
0 Kudos