Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mister_DNA
Visitor

Taking a Private Channel Public

I'm on the verge of taking my private channel, Libertydrome, public. All I really need to do is make the clips in two categories compatible for SD TVs.

I've tried to find detailed info on what, exactly, the process is, but I can't seem to find anything specific. Do I just submit my channel and hope for the best? All my content is used with the permission of the copyright holders and it's all rated, too.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. It just seemed to make more sense here than in the general forum.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: Taking a Private Channel Public

Follow the directions in Channel Packaging and publishing, make sure you color scheme is compatible with the colors as described in that document, especially for the channel store - going out-of-bounds on the colors there will get you bounced. Make sure you spell check everything.
Avoid displaying web urls in your channel if at all possible, since they are meaningless on Roku.
Make sure nothing in your channel is confusing to users. If necessary, add some help text.
Don't use the word "LIVE" in your description if you don't actually have live content.
If they tell you to change something, change it.
Try to submit early in the week, Monday morning by 8am is optimal,
Wednesday afternoon is probably the latest you will get into the que depending on how busy they are.
You need to make an EPS file of your channel-store image, probably larger is better than small.
You will be sent a document to fill out after submission, fill it out and send it. Make a bookmark of the URL for the document.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
Mister_DNA
Visitor

Thanks for the info.

I've run histogram correction on all my images, so I think I'm safe on that end, and I think my channel is pretty well organized.

There was some profanity in the descriptions of some of my clips, but I changed the wording.

Other than making some SD compatible streams for two of the categories, all I really need to do is make a suitable graphic for my channel. Thanks for the heads up on the large eps file.

I guess I'll submit it next Monday, since I'm in no mood for an all-nighter. 😄

Thanks again!
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. - George Orwell
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

I don't think there is an issue with Profanity, other than you need to set it to "Adult Content" when you create the channel, or "Content Unrated".

Not sure what you did with the Histograms, but just make sure your colors are no brighter than 235,235,235 rgb and no darker than 16,16,16 for the channel store.

If you submit it before Wednesday and they reject it for some reason, you'll have a few days to fix it for the next week, so I would suggest submitting during the week. Channel looks good.

If you include the word "Drome" in the channel name, doesn't that mean your head might explode if you watch too long?

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You will be asked to provide proof that you have permission to the content, so make sure you have that ready as well.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Mister_DNA
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
If you include the word "Drome" in the channel name, doesn't that mean your head might explode if you watch too long?l

Good catch. Videodrome served as the inspiration for my channel's name. I haven't pulled a gun out of my stomach from watching the channel.... yet.

in Paint Shop Pro, the Histogram function adjusts the RGB dark and bright colors. I have a preset with 235/16.

TheEndless, thanks for that info. This might be rough. I have agreements spread out over email and Facebook messages. I suppose I should get something a little more formal, huh?

Is there a way I could email the content providers and have them respond with a Cc to someone at Roku?

Thanks for the advice, guys.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

The Developer Agreement that you've agreed to includes an affirmation that you have rights to distribute the content through Roku. We typically don't ask for anything further but will act in accordance with the DMCA and good faith.

That said, if you have a private channel, the route to get published is not to take the private channel public, but rather create a new public channel that will be published. It will be your responsibility to migrate the users of the private channel to the new public channel.
0 Kudos
Mister_DNA
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
That said, if you have a private channel, the route to get published is not to take the private channel public, but rather create a new public channel that will be published. It will be your responsibility to migrate the users of the private channel to the new public channel.

Yeah, I noticed there's no way to upgrade an existing private channel to a public channel. I maintain a website and all the gimmicky social networking tools on behalf of the channel, so I'll be able to let everyone know about the change once it eventually happens.

Thanks for the info about content permissions, too.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.