Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
opnchaudhary
Streaming Star

Sidemenu with label and icon

Hi all,

I am trying to achieve side menu in one of my Roku App, similar to that of Plex or Tikilive app. I have tried MarkupList and LabelList but none of these has worked as I wanted. The problem with MarkupList is that it renders too slow to and feel very sluggish. The LabelList works great when used with Labels only or icons that are put inside the package. However, when I render the icons from a remote URL, the size and placement of the icon is broken. Can anyone suggest how I can achieve the side menu with label and icons ( loaded from URL)? Any input is highly appreciated. 

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Paras Nath Chaudhary

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Uguisu
Binge Watcher

Re: Sidemenu with label and icon

Hey @opnchaudhary,

Based on what you are wanting, MarkupList is probably the best bet for you. The question is why is the MarkupList slow.  A couple possibilities I can think of is: the loaded url is taking a long time to load, or there is something in "itemComponent" that is taking an abnormally long time to complete.

To check if it is the url I suggesting doing what you did with the LabelList and just put them in the package. If it is the icons and you want to load from the url, you could take a look into cachefs and just put the icons into cache at the start of the App. Take note though, that cachefs has a limited space and will remove items if the space is needed.

To look into if there is something slow in the "itemComponent" you could utilize Roku's profile visualizer. Or you could utilize the roTimeSpan  to find the time it takes particular sections of code.

If none of that is helpful the only other things I can think of is: building your own list by extending ArrayGrid , or just hard code via posters and labels, both of which are not ideal.

Hope this is of some use.

0 Kudos