Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Sideload vs Pkg issue - returning to roku home screen

Hello there -- working on a channel here, and when it's sideloaded all features and options work. However, when uploading to the roku channel store and installing with the channel store code, the roku adds the channel, I select it - it begins loading and then goes back to the main roku home screen. As I have no way to get any diagnostic logs from an actual installed channel I don't understand what is causing the issue here. The code is exactly the same as the sideloaded zip.
I even factory reset the roku device, re-enabled developer mode, re-keyed the box, deleted and recreated the pkg, same issue.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Sideload vs Pkg issue - returning to roku home screen

Something like that is usually caused by the newly installed channel expecting some registry data that the side-loaded channel already has. If that were the case, though, I'd expect the factory reset to cause the side-loaded channel to crash as well. Any chance there's a registry read in there that's not expecting a null value?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

It works on some other roku4's. So it's even more strange -- also, if I load it as a private channel on my own developer account then it works as expected, but loading it on the company's developer account crashes. Now we're also seeing a different serious issue that needs its own thread though.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you have a dialog box displayed prior to the facade screen being created or shown, then it appears it runs quicker on a packaged channel than on sideload - which causes premature exit of the app.
(just for reference later if someone needs it)
0 Kudos