Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pixshatterer
Visitor

Scene Graph node fields valid values

Hi, I have been having a rough time trying to assign a valid value to a stringArray field from XML, so far trying something like:

<MyComp
 id="comp"
 messages="[hi, hello, world, none]"
/>

... but so far I always have this in the debugger:
Warnings occurred while creating XML component CarouselItem

-- Type mismatch occurred when setting the "messages" field of a "MyComp" node

... is there a way to set those values right?

It would be awesome if documentation had samples about valid values per field type!
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Scene Graph node fields valid values

You know what would be awesome-er? If the error message was showing what the expected type was!
I.e. is `messages` declared in <interface/>as "string" or what? (Apparently not string or it wouldn't object)

Welcome to XML world, where we always feed strings to the properties but make-believe they are something else! </sarcasm>
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

This this instead...
<MyComp
  id="comp"
  messages="['hi', 'hello', 'world', 'none']"
/>
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Pray tell - what field type would that be?  😎 ah yes, made a fool of myself
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Pray tell - what field type would that be?  😎

The OP said he was trying to set the value of a "stringarray" field.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
pixshatterer
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
This this instead...
<MyComp
  id="comp"
  messages="['hi', 'hello', 'world', 'none']"
/>

I already tried, but it didn't work 😕 so I went looking around if escaping quotes would work and it did, so this was the solution:

<MyComp
id="comp"
messages="[&quot;hi&quot;,&quot;hello&quot;,&quot;world&quot;,&quot;none&quot;]"
/>

... which looks awful, but so far looks like the only way :v 
0 Kudos
pixshatterer
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Pray tell - what field type would that be?  😎

The OP said he was trying to set the value of a "stringarray" field.

... and btw, I ran into another issue now: I wanted to pass uri in this format as it can be used in XML components  "pkg:/locale/whatever/$$RES$$/image.png" but now it doesn't resolve those.. is there an - maybe - obvious way to accomplish that?
0 Kudos
pixshatterer
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
You know what would be awesome-er? If the error message was showing what the expected type was!
I.e. is `messages` declared in <interface/>as "string" or what? (Apparently not string or it wouldn't object)

Welcome to XML world, where we always feed strings to the properties but make-believe they are something else! </sarcasm>

...well, I think it was self explanatory when I wrote it:

Hi, I have been having a rough time trying to assign a valid value to a stringArray field...

... but I can be wrong 🙂
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"pixshatterer" wrote:

I already tried, but it didn't work 😕 so I went looking around if escaping quotes would work and it did, so this was the solution:
<MyComp
id="comp"
messages="[&quot;hi&quot;,&quot;hello&quot;,&quot;world&quot;,&quot;none&quot;]"
/>

Eep!  Try flipping the quotes...
<MyComp
 id="comp"
 messages='["hi", "hello", "world", "none"]'
/>

XML supports single and double quotes interchangeably when wrapping attribute values.  Apparently the Roku SceneGraph parser doesn't...
0 Kudos
pixshatterer
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"pixshatterer" wrote:

<MyComp
id="comp"
/>

Eep!  Try flipping the quotes...
<MyComp
 id="comp"
 messages='["hi", "hello", "world", "none"]'
/>

XML supports single and double quotes interchangeably when wrapping attribute values.  Apparently the Roku SceneGraph parser doesn't...

Awesome! that worked! I'm familiar with the XML interchangeability of single/double quotes there, but after it failed when I tried the other way around  - as you suggested too - I gave up on that.

Thanks!
0 Kudos