Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Return of Function

Having difficulty getting something to work. I have a function that produces an integer. That integer is passed into another function. The second function produces a return that needs to be called by a third function. How do I call the return of the second function when it is depending on a value to be passed. See below

Create myfunc() as object
procedures performed
value
myfuncb(value)
end function

Create myfuncb(x as integer) as integer
valuex=x
procedures performed using valuex
value reached
return value
End function

Create myfuncd() as object
newvalue=myfuncb()
end function

How do you call myfuncb() to get the return? When I try this I get error for wrong parameters since I assume the function is looking for the value of x to be passed. Sorry if this is confusing.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
dcrandall
Visitor

Re: Return of Function

One thing you can do is

function whatever(x=0 as integer)

to specify a default parameter, if that's what you're asking.

EDIT: Unless you want that 'value' passed to myfuncd somehow, in which case I would 'recommend' attaching that to the global object from getglobalAA.
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thanks I'll try that, I don't need to pass the x value to the final function just the return of the function.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Using a global for something like this is very poor form, even if you get it to work. I am not quite following your description of what you want to do, but perhaps this will help:

I have a function that produces an integer. That integer is passed into another function.

Ok, that code would look like this:

x1 = first_function()
x2 = second_function(x1)

function first_function() as Integer
return something
end function

function second_function(x as Integer) as Integer
return something
end function

The second function produces a return that needs to be called by a third function. How do I call the return of the second function when it is depending on a value to be passed.

I can't figure out what you mean by "a return that needs to be called by a third function". If you're saying that you want to pass the integer returned from the second function to a third function, you do that the same way:

third_function(x2)

function third_function(x as Integer) as Void
end function

--Mark
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Edit.
Let me try to clarify.
First function creates roListscreen, takes msg.Index and passes that to a second function. The second function uses the index number to ParaseJson file to get a url. The url is then passed into another function which uses it to create another url. The final url needs to be a return, not passed into a function. The problem I get is when I attempt to get the return of the final function, I get wrong number of parameters.

There are three functions. The first produces a value that is passed into the second. The third needs to take the return of the second function and continue. I can pass the value of the first into the second but don't know how to call the return of the second by the third.
First function pass value x thru
second(x)

Second function accepts value of x thru
Create second(x as integer) as integer
value=x
return value
end function

Now I need to call the return value by the third.
Third function
y=second(x)
end function

When I attempt to y=second(), I get error wrong number of parameters. I have also tried y=second(x) but I have nothing to pass as x and don't want to pass anything as x. Maybe I am creating too many functions with dependencies on each other.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I still don't understand some of your terminology but based on your description I would say the code looks like this

function first() as Void
url = GetUrl(msg.GetIndex())
other_url = GetOtherUrl(url)

end function

function GetUrl(index as Integer) as String)
ParseJson ....
return url
end function

function GetOtherUrl(url as String) as String
' transform url
return other_url
end function

--Mark
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thank you all for any consideration given to this matter. Please disregard now, I was really over thinking this. I have found a solution.
Thanks again
0 Kudos