Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

RAF v2.0 SD bug

There appears to be a bug in v2.0 of the RAF library that just hit my Roku Stick. When playing the iRoll ad that's available when you sideload, the video only fills the upper left 1/4 of the screen. It's possible that it's because my Stick is in an unsupported SD display mode, but v1.9 didn't exhibit this behavior. My Roku SE still has v1.9 and it's the only other working box I have that officially supports SD.

Anyone have a SD capable box with v2.0 want to try to verify?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: RAF v2.0 SD bug

"renojim" wrote:
Anyone have a SD capable box with v2.0 want to try to verify?

i would, if you give me a channel number or name or add-code?
0 Kudos
renojim

I figured everyone here had some RAF thing they could sideload.  😉  You can try any of my games and wait for an iRoll ad to come along, but it's probably easier to sideload this:
manifest:
title=RAF 2.0 bug
subtitle=SD iRoll
major_version=1
minor_version=0
build_version=1
mm_icon_focus_hd=pkg:/images/IconFocusHD2.jpg
mm_icon_focus_sd=pkg:/images/IconFocusSD2.jpg
mm_icon_side_hd=pkg:/images/IconFocusHD2.jpg
mm_icon_side_sd=pkg:/images/IconFocusSD2.jpg
bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib

BRS:
Library "Roku_Ads.brs"

Sub RunUserInterface()
   screenFacade = CreateObject("roPosterScreen")
   screenFacade.show()

adIface = Roku_Ads()
   adIface.setContentLength(500)
   adIface.setDebugOutput(true)
   while true
       adIface.showAds(adIface.GetAds())
   end while
end Sub

There's only 2 ads available to sideloaded apps - one is an iRoll ad.  I could create a private channel to illustrate the bug, but that would require me going into the dev portal and you know how much I love doing that!  :lol:

-JT

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I can see it, happens to interactive ads when in SD, video is shrunk (no crashes). Joy! 
Even more interesting - i see if one manifests `ui_resolutions=hd`, the issue does not happen.

If you don't manifest ui_resolutions at all, you get the default of "sd,hd". This i consider undocumented - i mean there is explanation for its role in RSG here https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... Resolution - but apparently it also applies to SDK1 UI.

So what happens if you manifest `ui_resolutions=hd` but device is in SD, you may ask? Well, apparently you get 720p coordinate system but the output gets automagically squished to SD (so you don't have to deal with pesky sizing your placements twice).

RAF stays at 1.9 on Roku SE you say? Do you have it firewalled to prevent infection or is it on an old rOS?
0 Kudos
renojim

"EnTerr" wrote:
I can see it, happens to interactive ads when in SD, video is shrunk (no crashes). Joy! 

You can say that again!

"EnTerr" wrote:
Even more interesting - i see if one manifests `ui_resolutions=hd`, the issue does not happen.

If you don't manifest ui_resolutions at all, you get the default of "sd,hd". This i consider undocumented - i mean there is explanation for its role in RSG here https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... Resolution - but apparently it also applies to SDK1 UI.

So what happens if you manifest `ui_resolutions=hd` but device is in SD, you may ask? Well, apparently you get 720p coordinate system but the output gets automagically squished to SD (so you don't have to deal with pesky sizing your placements twice).

That's interesting.  Maybe I'll experiment with that later, but for now I'll stick to the SD/HD two-coordinate system that I've already implemented

"EnTerr" wrote:
RAF stays at 1.9 on Roku SE you say? Do you have it firewalled to prevent infection or is it on an old rOS?

Ah... good point.  I hadn't powered up my SE in a while and it's probably stuck on an old rOS that doesn't support RAF 2.0.  I guess I'll have to let it update.  I really like that I can have the Stick in SD mode connected to an HDTV.  I really wish they hadn't removed the "Enable all resolutions" option.

As far as the ads being "minimized" into the upper left hand corner, it doesn't affect us as developers, but I don't think I'd be real happy as an advertiser if my ad wasn't full screen.

-JT

0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

A new version (2.0.20) of RAF was released this past week, including a fix for this issue. Give it a try.

Thank you, RenoJim - for your detailed bug report, it made reproducing the issue trivial and sped up the fix!

On a side note, this was affecting only interactive ad by a specific vendor and when playing in SD - a very small %. That ad occurs much more often in a side-loaded or private channel because these receive a test feed of ad pods - i think is one linear ad and one interactive one. Different mix in production.
0 Kudos