Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmikz
Binge Watcher

Pack data into binary string

Hello,

I am trying to find a solution to pack data into a binary string similar to the pack function in php and perl. Specifically into unsigned short (always 16 bit, big endian byte order) format. I am trying to use it to write data to network socket so the big endian byte order is important. If someone could point me into the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Pack data into binary string

Use https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roByteArray , probably by using .push() (ifArray interface) on octets/bytes.
To chop into bytes, use bitwise ops and/or/<</>>
0 Kudos
kmikz
Binge Watcher

Hi RokuNB,
Thank you for the quick reply.
This is what I came up with based on a javascript implementation of the function
Function pack(value As Integer)
result = ""
 result += chr(value >> 8 and 255)
 result += chr(value and 255)
 return result
End Function

For PHP the function pack("n", 333) will return a string "[SOH]M" where [SOH] is ascii symbol SOH. Roku will return "?M"
I am missing something and I can't figure what. 

Later edit: found my issue.
value >> 8 and 255 evaluates to 0 and chr(0) returns empty string if the specified value is 0 or an invalid Unicode value, as per the documentation. I need to preppend the ASCII 0 character, which is NUL. Any ideas how to do that?
0 Kudos
kmikz
Binge Watcher

ab = CreateObject("roByteArray")
ab.FromHexString("003C")
?ab
aba = ab.ToAsciiString()
?type(aba)
?aba.len()

ba = CreateObject("roByteArray")
ba.push(0)
ba.push(60)
bab = ba.ToAsciiString()
?ba
?bab
?bab.len()

This will return
<Component: roByteArray> =
[
]
String
<Component: roByteArray> =
[
]

There is no way that I can see to obtain the 2 character string "[nul]<" that has the ascii codes 0060 or the hex code 003C. Does anybody have a workaround? 
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"kmikz" wrote:
[...]
There is no way that I can see to obtain the 2 character string "[nul]<" that has the ascii codes 0060 or the hex code 003C. Does anybody have a workaround? 

If you start thinking of roByteArray as "binary string" (vs roString as "text string"), does that help?
Note how ifSocket .send/.receive() work with roByteArray and .sendStr/.receiveStr() work with texts...
0 Kudos
kmikz
Binge Watcher

Thank you, that was the solution I was looking for. My mistake was trying to do it like PHP and send string, I was not aware you could send byte arrays.
0 Kudos