Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steco
Visitor

New Update and m3u8 streams

Hi

Roku did an update this morning and now my private channel that streams abc news and other sites doesn't work anymore.

Some streams work others don't that were working before,

What happens is it shows loading and then the whole roku freezes and reboots.

My simplevideo xml feed looks as follows

<title> ABC NEWS</title>
<contentId>10001</contentId>
<contentType>Talk</contentType>
<contentQuality>SD</contentQuality>
<streamFormat>hls</streamFormat>
<media>
<streamQuality>SD</streamQuality>
<streamBitrate>1200</streamBitrate>
<streamUrl>http://abclive.abcnews.com/i/abc_live4@136330/index_1200_av-b.m3u8</streamUrl>
</media>
<synopsis>News</synopsis>
<genres>News</genres>
<runtime>1260</runtime>

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
malort
Visitor

Re: New Update and m3u8 streams

Can you test with an MP4 stream, instead of HLS? Also curious if the Roku model is a Roku 2 XS, as I have experienced the same thing, but it's only reproduced here when using roScreens.
0 Kudos
steco
Visitor

Hi malort

mp4 streams working fine and some m3u8 hls streams working fine but others aren't working. they were working until the new roku update last night
0 Kudos
davidmajors
Visitor

I also have the same issue. Since the upgrade last night. All are users have issues playing certain feeds in HLS. I am talking about over 4 thousand users we have in our private channels.
I have already forwarded the necessary information to Joel at roku. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone and this VERSION 6.1 Build 5517 has started the issue because all Previous roku versions are working just fine.
I have tested on ROKU 3 with new version which causes freezes and reboots and tested with ROKU STICK with version prior to 5517 and it works like a charm. All our users prior to 5517 not having any issues.
I hope roku put out a new update. I am sure more and more people will start posting in the forum.
I am asking Roku to expedite this process.
0 Kudos
davidmajors
Visitor

I forgot to mention that VOD section of our private channels that utilizes the MP4 plays with no issue. Certain HLS files causes crash and some work just fine. The link to those HLS files already forwarded to JOEL at ROKU to investigate.
0 Kudos
steco
Visitor

Thank you for clearing this up and taking the necessary steps davidmajors.
0 Kudos
davidmajors
Visitor

My findings shows that New Version 6.1 Build 5517 has issues with certain HLS Streams that instead of loading the stream, It causes crash and reboot. I have some other HLS streams that play fine. As Satco posted on ABC News feed same the HLS causes crash. I have similar feed from VEVO channels that also causes crash. At first I thought maybe the Transcoders have issues. I have gone through thousand lines of codes and settings since last night and found the issue is not from the Private Channel app nor from any Transcoders or settings. Just for some weird reason the NEW 5517 Build has become picky on certain HLS playback and if it doesnt like it, then crash is the first roku's choice.
We have no issue playing back any file in MP4 and works like a charm. Only Certain HLS stream. As mentioned the Sample HLS links already forwarded to Joel at ROKU. I hope I get a quick resolution to this as many of our users are experiencing this issue and some have returned their Roku Boxes and exchanged with new one not knowing there is nothing wrong with their ROKU box. As soon as they installed their new roku box and roku received the new update Version 6.1 Build 5517 same thing started all over again. I told users not to do anything such as resest since this issue is firmware related. I hope Roku either revert back to prior 5517 until the issue is fixed or put out a new update so everyone can download the new fix.
0 Kudos
enmaca
Visitor

The problem as i find last night roku firmware doesnt support anymore urls in the piece part of the m3u8 file

#EXTINF:10.000,
http://abclive.abcnews.com/i/abc_live4@ ... b.ts?sd=10
#EXTINF:10.000,
http://abclive.abcnews.com/i/abc_live4@ ... b.ts?sd=10

(http/https) that type of urls causes roku to crash that is annoying!

But if you make your stream pieces relative to the m3u8 file the stream works ok.
0 Kudos
davidmajors
Visitor

Well that doesnt make any sense. All M3U8 files do start with HTTP. I outputs the same way i send the HLS files to Iphone/Ipad, Roku and other IPTV Devices. They all work fine except Roku. Roku should fix this issue as more and more people can not go back and re purchase the servers/encoders. Will If that was the case some one from roku support would have immediately could tell us that was the case. I am sure this issue will be fixed as we are talking about a lot of servers/encoders that outputs in HLS. Prior to the update M3U8 files all was needed to playback the stream on ROKU. Now causes crash. Remember that if roku didnt want to support the format, It didnt have to crash or freeze. It could pup up a message saying such format is no longer supported which I dont think is the case because we are talking many users that are using the M3U8 with or without variations in their URL. Lets keep our hopes up and fingers crossed that Joel overcome this issue.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"davidmajors" wrote:
Remember that if roku didnt want to support the format, It didnt have to crash or freeze. It could pup up a message saying such format is no longer supported...

Well now that's just being fatuous, obviously they didn't decide to cause crashes or were just lazy, but rather this is a bug that will be addressed, so hold your horses and rest easy for a bit 8-)
0 Kudos