Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belltown
Roku Guru

Maximum Channel Size: pre- or post-zip?

From the Roku Streaming Player Developer Guide, section 7.2, Application Installer Page:

Applications are limited to a maximum of 2MB in size, due the the limited amount of flash storage available. In general, since these are internet enabled applications, they tend to be much smaller and are typically < 300KB in size.

Do these sizes refer to the size of the zip file or the size of the files before they are zipped?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Maximum Channel Size: pre- or post-zip?

The size of the zip.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Maximum Channel Size: pre- or post-zip?

Ideally, post-zip channel size should be 500k or less, preferably as small as possible. If you are submitting a public channel, please do your utmost to keep the size low. Use Photoshop's Save for Web option to optimize for the best quality image at the lowest file size. Make sure no extraneous gunk like DS_Store and thumbs.db, any hidden or system files, zips of older versions of your channel, etc are not accidentally zipped up, bloating your channel.

- Joel
0 Kudos