Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JFalcon
Reel Rookie

Is there updated developer documentation?

Jump to solution
Greets,

I have the Roku 3 streaming player, but the "Developerguide.pdf" that I had downloaded only lists up to the "Roku 2 XS" in the "Current Models" table. Is there a new developer guide available or is the latest guide (version 4.1 12/21/2011) still the most current?

Regards,

Joe
Never criticize another unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Is there updated developer documentation?

Jump to solution
See here for updated info
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ndFeatures

SDK is a bit of a mess:

• i don't think PDFs are being still updated (i like the wiki version better anyway - search etc)

• code examples you have to download as a ZIP and then apply as a patch newer versions from some Sourceforge repository (some of the SDK zips dont work with current firmware; Sourceforge ones miss makefiles; there are examples that are in one of the places but not another)

• for everything else consult this forum: search if something was asked first; there are handful of seasoned indie developers that are very helpful; sometimes RokuCo engineers also chime in; there is "developer liaison" (RokuJoel) assigned to help too

This said, my overall impression is that RokuCo engineering cares about the platform and keeps improving it all the time - which is better than dead platform with perfect documentation. Recent example, over the year-end holidays someone revealed a Roku "jailbreak" for the first time - and only a day later they had created and distributed a patch to all players (to great displeasure of modders).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
See here for updated info
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ndFeatures

SDK is a bit of a mess:

• i don't think PDFs are being still updated (i like the wiki version better anyway - search etc)

• code examples you have to download as a ZIP and then apply as a patch newer versions from some Sourceforge repository (some of the SDK zips dont work with current firmware; Sourceforge ones miss makefiles; there are examples that are in one of the places but not another)

• for everything else consult this forum: search if something was asked first; there are handful of seasoned indie developers that are very helpful; sometimes RokuCo engineers also chime in; there is "developer liaison" (RokuJoel) assigned to help too

This said, my overall impression is that RokuCo engineering cares about the platform and keeps improving it all the time - which is better than dead platform with perfect documentation. Recent example, over the year-end holidays someone revealed a Roku "jailbreak" for the first time - and only a day later they had created and distributed a patch to all players (to great displeasure of modders).
destruk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
For current PDFs based on what is on the wiki site, go here and click on "PDF Export" and it will create one for you.
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/spaces/viewspac ... key=sdkdoc
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
FWIW, the wiki page is missing info on models 3400 and 2500 ("the Stick" and "new Roku HD" of 2012), as well as the latest line 27x0 ("new-new Roku LT", Roku 1, "new Roku 2"). Knock-knock, RokuRobB?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Information on 27x0 is showing now, courtesy of RokuMarkN.

I am startled that CPU in Roku1/Roku2/RokuLT++ is MIPS and not ARM. Not that i hate MIPS (i actually found MIPS assembly code neat) - but will that mean more BRS fragmentation, like strlen() on non-ASCII strings returning either number of characters or octets - or endianness issues?
Also... no more "OpenGL ES coming soon" to SDK near us?
0 Kudos