Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauljay
Visitor

Installation success but no channel menu come out

I am a newbie to Roku developer. Just registered as Roku developer and downloaded SDK.
In examples, I have just modified non featured part of a simplevideoplayer example.
Actually I have changed the title name only. And zipped again and named it same.
The original was saved onto the other name.

I saw installation was successful on the web browser. But in Roku player on TV, there appears no new channel at all.
So I have installed original ( untouched ) simplevideoplayer.zip again.
Now new channel menu appears.

What's wrong with me ?
So any modifications in examples weren't be effective.

'Swap the commented values below to play different video clips...
urls = ["http://video.ted.com/talks/podcast/CraigVenter_2008_480.mp4"]
qualities = ["HD"]
StreamFormat = "mp4"
title = "Craig Venter Synthetic Life"
srt = "file://pkg:/source/craigventer.srt"

I have just changed title into "Craig sample" title = "Craig sample"
But it doesn't effec as well as no menu in Roku player on TV.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Installation success but no channel menu come out

Sounds like the zip file you created is not structured correctly. Unzip the working zip file and then unzip the one you created. The directory layout should be the same.

--Mark
0 Kudos
pauljay
Visitor

I have unzipped a simplevideoplayer.zip. And got the simplevideoplayer folder. And after, i zipped the folder again to same name of simplevideoplayer.zip.
Upload and install it but in vain. Original simplevideoplayer.zip works fine. But unzipped and zipped file doesn't work.

I am working on mac os and working directory is my personal folder. Not root directory.
Do I work at some special directory ?
I guess this problem may be resulted from incorret working directory path.
Or some option to zipping files.
Is there anyone who experienced same of mine ?
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

If you are zipping the folder by right clicking and choosing "compress" from the contextual menu, then your zip will have the wrong structure and when you attempt to install it on the Roku, you will see an error on the debug console telling you it can't find your source directory.

The structure needs to be channel.zip/source, not channel.zip/channel/source. One way to be sure you are zipping the channel correctly is to use the Makefile included in the SDK.

If you have the correct structure and the channel does not appear on the Roku home screen, there may be syntax errors in your BrightScript. These will also be called out on the debug console when you install the channel.
0 Kudos
pauljay
Visitor

Thanks a lot. I solved it owing to your comment.
The symptom was because I had included the channel folder into the zip file. Now the mofidied examples work fine.
It would be good to update this point at 'working with examples section in manual' for newbies.
I saw some other newbies were in trouble with this on another threads.

Paul J
0 Kudos