Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmacfl
Visitor

Implementing closed caption on Roku

Hi All,

My understanding is that with the Roku 2 support was added for closed captioning (this is based off the many posts concerning closed captioning with NetFlix channel). I am developing a channel and the client has requested closed captioning be supported but i can not find any details on how to add closed captioning data to the stream. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there an XML file like the standards around some flash players or do you encode the data directly into the m3u8 stream? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Implementing closed caption on Roku

We are planning to support closed captioning via SMPTE TimeText in a coming software update. We don't support it today in the SDK. We'll post more when it we have more to announce.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Does Roku still support SRT files? You could try using those while waiting.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

It's still in the development guide under Content Meta-Data

Under SubtitleUrl ("Since Firmware version 2.6:")
roVideoPlayer and roVideoScreen: Will display an overlay of subtitles stored in an SRT formatted file.
Example: "http://www.myco.com/vid/1932.srt"
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

We do support SRT for subtitles, yes
0 Kudos
jmacfl
Visitor

Thanks for the responses. Is it possible to use an SRT file with streaming content? It seems that the instructions require you use <filename>.mp4 and <filename>.srt to make this work but in my case i am using m3u8 streams.

Thanks
Jeff
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"jmacfl" wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Is it possible to use an SRT file with streaming content? It seems that the instructions require you use <filename>.mp4 and <filename>.srt to make this work but in my case i am using m3u8 streams.

Yes, you can use SRT with streaming video. Just set the subtitleURL attribute of your content-meta-data (http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDK ... +Meta-Data) to the URL of your SRT file.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

SRT files do not currently work with HLS streaming. You currently must use streamformat = "mp4".

--Kevin
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuKevin" wrote:
SRT files do not currently work with HLS streaming. You currently must use streamformat = "mp4".

--Kevin

I was actually testing this the other day, and they did work with VOD HLS streams.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Also, seems to me it wouldn't be impossible to implement your own SRT subtitle player, using position notification and a timer.

- Joel
0 Kudos