Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krh5150
Visitor

Imitate 4:3 mode when using 720p

Is there a way (with code example, if possible) to view mp4 videos through the Roku in 4:3 standard mode with the Roku device actually set in 720p mode? I want to keep the Roku set to 720p mode for other channels like Netflix, however, I would like to specify in my channel that videos will be displayed as 4:3 standard, that way the videos are displayed full screen. I've been having problems trying to code the roVideoScreen object to full screen in 720p after purchasing the Roku2, replacing my Roku XD. I've also tried creating a roVideoPlayer object, but all videos are either have borders all around the video (widescreen) or borders on the left and right (fullscreen).

Please help!

Kevin
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Imitate 4:3 mode when using 720p

If your TV is in 720p mode and your Roku is in 720p mode, 4:3 videos properly encoded will display as 4:3 and 16:9 videos will display 16:9. 720p is 1280x720 - widescreen SD video would be 640x360 or 720x405, 4:3 would be 640x480, I believe. So encoding with those dimensions should show the content properly on the screen if the device is in 720p or 1080p mode.

- Joel
0 Kudos