Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yeddish
Visitor

Idea... Doable or too ambitious?

I have an idea for an app. Here's the wireframe for the screen that I'm concerned about:

The big image area to the left is a rotating image, probably roImageCanvas.
I'm not sure what to use for the scrollable list on the top right. Each of these would be an audio item to choose from.
Then, there are the transport controls and the progress slider.

Is this even doable with the Roku SDK as it is now? Is this extremely ambitious? What Elements might I need to use for the stuff on the right half?

Any help would be awesome.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Idea... Doable or too ambitious?

Totally doable, but it would all require a custom screen coded completely by you. There are no widgets to do stuff like this in BrightScript. If you need animation, roScreen is the route you need to take, but it's a lot more work and a much steeper learning curve. If you don't need animation, then it would be fairly easy to pull off with roImageCanvas.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
yeddish
Visitor

Re: Idea... Doable or too ambitious?

I don't mind getting into the nitty-gritty. I have a programming background and BrightScript's not too crazy (other than its syntax reminding me of VB, bleh.)

I'm going to try it with ImageCanvas first and see where I get from there. Do you have a suggestion on where to start with the scrollable list?
0 Kudos