Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roquoonewbie
Visitor

Hisense TV Power Saver Screensaver

Has anyone else who owns a Roku TV been frustrated by the fact that when it is turned off, the network stack goes down (so you can't turn it back on via the mobile app)?

Due to this limitation, I have taken to having the native Power Saver screensaver come on, instead of actually turning the TV off. This screensaver makes the screen go dark (the backlight actually shuts off).

Does anyone know how one might accomplish this same thing via Brighscript channel code? ie: is there some Brightscript function for turning the display off? If there were, I could create my own screensaver channel that could be launched via the External CP so that it could happen immediately (instead of having to wait for the screensaver timeout period before the screen finally goes dark).
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Hisense TV Power Saver Screensaver

"roquoonewbie" wrote:
Has anyone else who owns a Roku TV been frustrated by the fact that when it is turned off, the network stack goes down (so you can't turn it back on via the mobile app)?

Yes, see here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=86220

Does anyone know how one might accomplish this same thing via Brighscript channel code? ie: is there some Brightscript function for turning the display off? If there were, I could create my own screensaver channel that could be launched via the External CP so that it could happen immediately (instead of having to wait for the screensaver timeout period before the screen finally goes dark).

Not that i know of. It is a good idea to ask for such API.
An alternative approach would be if they make that "Power Saver" SS hidden-yet-launchable
0 Kudos
roquoonewbie
Visitor

Re: Hisense TV Power Saver Screensaver

Can the Roku devs comment on the possibility of an API which turns the TV display off like the "power saver" screensaver does?

Or, alternativey, making the power saver screensaver externally controllable by including a Main() function?
0 Kudos