Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jseigle85
Visitor

HTTP live streaming format HLS start from beginning

I am streaming live video from wowza media server. The problem I am having with my live stream is when the roku player loads the stream it start from the beginning every time I play the live stream.

Example I will start my live stream on wirecast and wowza media server then one minute later I will start the roku player. Instead of playing the live stream a few seconds behind the live stream it starts from the beginning.

Example 2 if I start a live stream on the wowza media server and then 4 minutes later I start roku player, the roku player will start from the beginning of the stream.
It is starting from the beginning every time as it is not live. but the feed is live.

I only have this problem out of the roku player. I have this feed on the iphone, other top-set boxes and I am not having that problem with them.

What do I need to do to fix this problem. I am using the code in the example provided in the sdk, customvideoplayer.zip
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: HTTP live streaming format HLS start from beginning

You need to keep track of the live point in the stream.... This can be accomplished in two ways:

1) Use a sliding segment window (we recommend 8x 10 second segments)
or
2) Pass a PlayStart content meta parameter whose value is the offset in seconds to the live point in the stream.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
jseigle85
Visitor

is this handle on the roku application or will I make those setting on the wowza media server.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The sliding segment window would be something you set on Wowza (see our encoding guide).

The PlayStart value would be something you set in your BrightScript code on the Roku.

--Kevin
0 Kudos