Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkipFire
Visitor

HD Only Channel?

If I have a channel whose content is contractually restricted to HD only, will it still be rejected for not supporting SD?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: HD Only Channel?

Does your contract restrict playback in SD mode? HD content can be played in SD mode for example. If your contract actually requires HD mode, then you will have to make that explicit in the first line of your channel-store description and show a message on the screen if users attempt to play in SD mode. This could be a problem if your channel requires an up-front purchase to be installed, because the last thing we want is a pile of customers complaining to our CS department that they purchased something that didn't work on their televisions sets.

- Joel
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

It does prohibit any playback on non-HD devices, thanks for the information.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

My HD content will not play on a SD TV. If it is supposed to then maybe a bug?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"bandal" wrote:
My HD content will not play on a SD TV. If it is supposed to then maybe a bug?

It won't play if the StreamQuality content metadata attribute is explicitly set to "HD". If you remove that attribute (or set it to "SD"), it should play.

[EDIT: identified the wrong attribute]
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

That's sounds right. But is the HD video going to play back in HD if metadata is sd?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"bandal" wrote:
That's sounds right. But is the HD video going to play back in HD if metadata is sd?

Yes. When set for 720p or 1080p, it will play the highest bitrate possible, regardless of the StreamQuality/StreamQualities setting.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Thanks, that is great news under our noses all the time.
0 Kudos