Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bosborne
Visitor

Further explanation of PlayReady DRM support

Hello,

I'm a little thrown off by the description of PlayReady support in 4.8SDK:

"Only direct PlayReady licensing is supported. Indirect licensing is currently unsupported. That is, for decryption to work, the ProtectionHeader must be available in the manifest and the LA_URL should contain a valid URL to an accessible PlayReady license server."

Usually PlayReady would require some sort of business logic or authentication be exchanged with an entity before issuing a license. Otherwise anyone who has the stream URL could in theory play back the content, since access to the license server is not protected.

I've worked with a PlayReady DRM provider that requires that you pass in some Challenge Data along with the license request. The license server has the capability of validating that challenge data.

Is there anything similar with Roku implementation? Perhaps I am misunderstanding how the implementation would work on the Roku.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Gulopine
Visitor

Re: Further explanation of PlayReady DRM support

I'd like an answer to this question as well. I'm looking at making a simple channel to connect with a service that uses PlayReady and issues a protection key separate from the ISM Manifest. The manifest does have a protection header with a LA_URL, but it can't obtain a license without presumably supplying the out-of-band protection key as part of the license request. I guess this qualifies as "indirect licensing" as mentioned in the docs? If so, is there a plan to support this type of license acquisition in the future?
0 Kudos
Gulopine
Visitor

Re: Further explanation of PlayReady DRM support

To clarify, I already have the code in place to obtain the protection key as well as the ISM Manifest. I would just need a way to supply that protection key to the license server, which doesn't currently seem possible.
0 Kudos