Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newperceptions
Streaming Star

First Row of Videos Larger

Hello. I'm using Roku XML to configure my channel. For my GridScreen: RowList node, I would like to have the first row (whatever is active) show larger. I figured out how to do that for a specific row (ie: row 0) but it doesn't change as you scroll... row 0 is the only row that shows larger then. I want to see whatever row is selected larger. Is it possible to do this via RowList XML?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
philanderson777
Roku Guru

Re: First Row of Videos Larger

Would you need

RowList

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/references/scenegraph/list-and-grid-nodes/rowlist.md

sets the itemFocused to have the index of the focused row

```

itemFocusedinteger0READ_ONLYWhen a row gains the key focus, set to the index of the focused row.

```

you can adjust rowHeights array

```

rowHeightsarray of floats[ ]READ_WRITE

Specifies the heights of each row of the list. This allows the height of each row of the list to vary from row to row. The values override the height specified in the y-dimension value of the itemSize field. If the array contains fewer elements than the number of rows in the data model, the y-dimension value of the itemSize field is used as the height of the extra rows.

`

```

or there is a built in component

zoomrowlist

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/references/scenegraph/list-and-grid-nodes/zoomrowlist.md

which automatically can have the focused row of a different height

I want to invite you to the Roku Developers Slack also ... to get timely answers and discuss quickly ... post inthe #general channel.

Here is the invite link, thanks

https://join.slack.com/t/rokudevelopers/shared_invite/zt-27308pu2t-KtlL3XBkazqyrmS0yUOoiw

0 Kudos
newperceptions
Streaming Star

Thanks @philanderson777! This is what I was looking for. Now to get the settings properly so it looks good. Had some issues earlier on (edited this post) but got it working now! One remaining issue is that the Hero video doesn't show its thumbnail. The rest of the feed does, just not the focus row. Is that set differently?

0 Kudos
newperceptions
Streaming Star

Scratch that. I read that the Item Component Field, which is determining the Poster thumbnail for the ZoomRowList is supposed to interpolate the height and width (meaning I don't set one in the Component Field xml file?). I have set a rowItemHeight and rowZoomItemHeight as well as a rowItemAspectRatio. But the thumbnails are giant and not adhering to that. This whole thing is perplexing to me as I'm trying to follow the instructions laid out by the link you shared. It seems like it should be easy. Set a starting x,y point. Set a height for each row (the rowZoomItem and rowItem), width is interpolated via aspect ratio. Boom, should be done. SceneGraph doesn't respond always, and then have to reload the channel, so it's very challenging to play around with values to see what it looks like. Am I the only guy that is finding troubles like this?

0 Kudos
philanderson777
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
newperceptions
Streaming Star

I agree, per the documentation, it should work. That's why I'm so confused.

Here's a link to my project. Thank you! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QFHllqWJaLP4iqpNUX1mXWRLJpFmJuax/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
philanderson88
Reel Rookie

Hello sir I took some time over the holidays to look at your issue; I did not download the zip onto my work computer as I don't have permissions for that ... so that was part of the reason for the delay.

so I'm working and responding using my personal roku account and posting the solution on my personal github account.

I see the theme was Christmas so this help may be too late but I've done it anyway ... I took about 45 minutes in all to download, analyse, go through and fix your code.

I have generated a fix although it's not a total fix.

I have 

1) permanently set the playAll flag to false so each episode is treated as a standalone episode and plays fine

2) you will have to fix the content nodes array if you want your playlist to have multiple items in it - basically the content nodes [] array is failing when you have multiple items present.  

Other than that your app seems to be working fine, albeit a little slowly which i did not investigate.  It did seem to be taking a while to switch between views which would indicate an issue in the background processes, but as I said I was just focused on looking at your critical crash issue which is the only thing I looked at.  I got it functioning so at least an end user could load the app, run the content and play the episodes as single items.

Hope this helps you on your roku journey.

In future to get a quicker answer I would recommend joining the slack community (I can resend the link if it went out of date) and posting in the #general channel; I think you would find your quality and quantity and speed of help would increase dramatically, down to a few hours.

Thanks.

I was not sure the best means to reply my work and fixes to you, but since the google drive zip file is open to anyone on the internet, I have just put your code in a github repo for you and pushed it up with the changes

https://github.com/philanderson888/pmchurch

philandersons888 is my personal github user handle

I would suggest you clone my fix and take it from there, I can then delete from my repo after you let me know all is good.  I've put it up there in case you have further help you need to get up and running 🙂 just in case 🙂 

I do note you do have two unfixed errors ( I also fixed another one, you will see if you investigate the changes ..)

=================================================================
Warning occurred while setting a field of an RoSGNode
-- Type mismatch occurred when setting the "change" field of a "ContentNode" node
   at line 177 of file pkg:/components/UILogic/VideoPlayer.brs
Warning occurred while setting a field of an RoSGNode
-- Type mismatch occurred when setting the "focusedChild" field of a "ContentNode" node
   at line 177 of file pkg:/components/UILogic/VideoPlayer.brs

this was one line i did alter

if textColor <> invalid and textColor <> ""
        m.rowList.rowTitleColor = textColor
    end if

hope this helps you on your way with Roku

Just in case there is any doubt about how to get started with VSCode I have added instructions in the ReadMe ... let me know if any issues exist

https://github.com/philanderson888/pmchurch?tab=readme-ov-file#getting-started

Happy coding!

PS all in all I took about 1 hour 15 to work on the issue, the fix and pushing up the code changes in a way that is palatable for you to take forwards in an easy way.

Blessings 

Phil

0 Kudos
philanderson88
Reel Rookie

It says I'm a newbie but that's just because I don't use my personal roku account normally 🙂 

0 Kudos
newperceptions
Streaming Star

Thank you, I'll take a look at this. Would definitely appreciate the Slack invite again. I appreciate your time!

0 Kudos
newperceptions
Streaming Star

I just uploaded my package to Roku and getting the following error:

Usage of the UpdateLastKeypressTime() API is no longer permitted. Path: /components/TrackerTask_v.3.2.0.xml. Line: 694.

Then, I repackaged it, and it worked fine. I'm baffled by this. Hopefully it will deploy and I can keep playing with other settings.

0 Kudos