Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request - unzip

"kbenson" wrote:
"YungBlood" wrote:

I was thinking of packaging. But I was also thinking about something else. Since good games will require a lot more images, it would be nice to be able to tightly compress them as a zip within the pkg. Then you could unzip it into the tmp and effectively have a larger channel without requiring a download of files.

What I meant when I said "Compression can always be handled on the fly from the webserver to the Roku" was that if the web server supports gzip/deflate encoding, and the Roku supports that encoding (does it? I can't remember if I tested this), then the compression level of things is really not an issue, since over the wire it's transparently compressed at the web server and decompressed by the client.

It does, and the roUrlTransfer component automatically adds the "Accepts" header for gzip, so you don't even have to do any configuration for it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

"TheEndless" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:

What I meant when I said "Compression can always be handled on the fly from the webserver to the Roku" was that if the web server supports gzip/deflate encoding, and the Roku supports that encoding (does it? I can't remember if I tested this), then the compression level of things is really not an issue, since over the wire it's transparently compressed at the web server and decompressed by the client.

It does, and the roUrlTransfer component automatically adds the "Accepts" header for gzip, so you don't even have to do any configuration for it.

Ok, that will help with speed on data files once I config my server. But I still would like unzip to help me deal with downloading lots of small files. 🙂
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"YungBlood" wrote:
Even if there isn't a big space savings for images, there still would be for my data files.

Also being able to download one file rather than 50+ would make managing my games much easier. Just a simple card game requires 52+ images. One of my upcoming games will require image sets of around 100 images per set. As I work on pushing the limits of what roku can do, I will be working with more & more images for a single game. As my image count goes up, http overhead gets worse if I have to download each image individually.

If zip bombs are a big concern, I could work with something like tar. I'm just thinking that the box already has built in support for zip.
For your card game example, could you put all 52 cards into one image file, then use sourceRect to 'slice and dice' the big image into the individual cards? I recall that was another trick winamp skins used. You could lay them out in the large image as 4 rows of 13 columns and then create a lookup table of coordinates so you could just call for [S|P|C|H][1-13]. So C12 would be the King of Clubs, which might have its top and left at coordinates 400 and 750. Cards are especially easy to do this with, because they'll all have the same height and width.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

The functionality is already in the box -
"the Roku box supports .m3u8 files that are compressed via deflate or gzip."

So they would only require that functionality be utilized for the pkg itself - and ensure there is enough storage for the pkg to fully decompress.
0 Kudos