Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibscas
Visitor

Encryption between PHP and BRS?

I was wondering if anyone had written something that allows the Roku to encrypt a string then a PHP script to de-crypt it and vice-versa? I want to interract with my server but would prefer that the lines of communication be encrypted however I'm not sure how the BRS does it's encryption so that I can de-crypt it on the other side.

For instance, I want to send a URL that may have a password on a query string and don't want to send &password=xxxxxxx if I can send &password=929dkxd834kdja and have my PHP script figure what the password is.

Any insight is appreciated!
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
MSGreg
Visitor

Re: Encryption between PHP and BRS?

Using https and putting the password in the POST instead of in the query should cover it.

If you must encode your own, you might be able to use
roEVPCipher
0 Kudos
ibscas
Visitor

That was only an example, I want to do my own an already know about roEVPCipher, I'm just wondering if anyone actually wrote a routine in PHP that decrypts a BRS encrypted string.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Ahh, sorry to tell you what you already know 😞

I don't have any PHP <-> Brightscript code that matches crypt/decrypt.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

There is no such thing as a "BRS encypted string". The roEVPCipher supports loads of different standard encryption methods (as listed in the link MSGreg posted). Pick one of the supported encryption methods, and find equivalent decryption code in PHP, and you should be good to go.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

As a follow up, in case no one else responds, I'll use this space to speculate.

Looks like PHP crypt is in reality a hash function built for making password hashes. Not what you need (as you probably know).

Mcrypt is a PHP extension that seems to contain perhaps the correct functions. There are a lot of options (i.e. CBC mode, CFB mode, etc.). It'll take a comparison of Mcrypt manual page.

More notes to come, unless someone else chimes in definitively.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

It looks like roEVP* uses OPenSSL library. Mcrypt may not be compatible (one forum post said of the difference: "Because of different password-to-encryption-key derivation methods.")

You may be safer using OpenSSL library in PHP. The biggest gotcha seems to be handling the padding.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

And it looks like the roEVP only implement symmetric ciphers and digests. Not public/private key handling. So you'll be stuck using some sort of symmetric encryption where the key is available in full on both sides (in Brightscript and in PHP) unless perhaps you send the key from the server to Brightscript over SSL.

This would be much better if roEVP_Seal... and roEVP_Open... functions were available. That way you could have a public key distributed with the brightscript, and a private key stay on the server.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness posts on this topic...
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Here is a decent thread and post about the interaction of PHP and BrightScript regarding encryption and hex vs. binary keys.
0 Kudos
ibscas
Visitor

Awesome, MSGreg, I really appreciate that!!!!!! I don't know why in all my forum searching this didn't come up in my results 😞
0 Kudos