Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hnet
Visitor

Re: Enabling Your Channel for Video Ads

What is the best way to add vast into Scene Graph? I want to embed ads into my new channel and prep it for public release. I have taken all the tools provided and have came up with Biztale enhanced compared to it's humble beginnings on OpenRokn. my.roku.com/add/Biztale
0 Kudos
hnet
Visitor

Hey Dean,

Actually I re-wrote my channel it's own the new platform which is "Scene Graph" I'm only running into the problem is how to add the ads into the channel with RAF or VAST. Is it a simple copy and past the code into the manifest or is there more to it. I don't think this was covered in the forum as of yet, unless I need to reach out to the Roku Ad department for best results.

https://blog.roku.com/developer/2016/02 ... framework/

But you are right, I ran into way to many issues when I did run the other .sdk that's why I abandoned it long ago.

John
0 Kudos
bhrami
Visitor

Hi there,

I have sent an email out to advertise@roku.com to add Ads support in my channel. But haven't heard anything from them so far. Can you please tell me if I should be contacting anyone else in this regard.

Thanks,
Bhrami
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"DeanLach" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
So after all, i can let users opt-out of a video ad! As long as i don't mind getting unpaid for the unfinished ad. That is a bargain i personally will take. Wasting 30 seconds of unwilling viewer's life - or forego a fraction of a penny? Sign me in for the latter!

If I were you I'd check the RAF TOS before inputting that "Skippable" code.

Here's some food 4 thought: I personally can't see why a developer would take the time to code a Channel with RAF only to put in a method to defeat RAF. And I say "defeat" because I'm thinking that if RAF is helping to fill 100% then you as a Developer are promised fresh and appropriate ads for your audience, and skipping an ad destroys the purpose of using ADpods. Doesn't it? Forgive me if I'm wrong...

Respectfully - you don't seem to understand how advertising works at large - nor video ads in particular.

1. The ad-exit capability is there in RAF for a reason. I did not invent it - i advocate developers to use it to improve user satisfaction %.

2. The ad buyer does not pay for unfinished ads. If it does not hit final marker, there is no credit (that is, till hopefully something akin to YouTube's TrueView gets available). It's up to the ad seller whether to absorb (or not - in your case) cancelations.

3. You might want to take a raincheck on the imaginary "fill 100%... [with] fresh and appropriate ads". Fill rate of 100% is a fantasy. Q&D check today, Roku fills ~80% of the slots. And the ads one sees are repetitive, as RenoJim pointed out. It's not app publisher's fault but we bear the brunt of viewer's dissatisfaction if they are forced to watch the same ad ad nauseam.

4. Lastly, to address the fear of ad skipping ability hurting one's bottom line: another reality check - less than 10% are exiting my pre-rolls. That's less than 1/2 the un-filled slots from above. I am happy with such low number and rather shop for better CPM or fill ratios than force every ad onto every viewer.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Fast-forward couple of months later, update: RokuCo fill rates are still ~80%... on a good day. On a bad day they drop below 50%.

My "skip rates" have slowly risen up, maybe up to 40% (based on a small sample check today). I attribute that to 2 things: there are some regular/dedicated users that are habitual skippers (i traced couple over time and those reliably log <1sec reaction time on skipping prestitials). And two, there is only a limited number of leg shaving ads one can watch before developing immune rejection response to it. I will be reining in on these situations by offering a "no ads" optional upgrade
0 Kudos
Arthy74
Visitor

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how to implement a video advert interstitial to monetize a channel.

The example in RAF doc are quite confusing.... is there a full tutorial somewhere step by step (create a DFP/Adsense/DFP/Admob...) account and like it to RAF ?

I understood that Roku can also serve the ads in the channel (if we request a custom uri) ?

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"DeanLach" wrote:
1.  When you're saying "interstitial" it sounds like your referring to a mobile app like something made with Android studio.  Roku instead uses Ad Pods with their RAF SDK's.

"Interstitial" video ad just means mid-roll one. Compare/contrast to prestitial/pre-roll.
0 Kudos
Arthy74
Visitor

Thanks for your explanations, will try to use RAF servers then 🙂
0 Kudos

Howdy John. We have a channel built with InstantTV. Our channel is not published yet because we selected (My channel contains ads) in the HOW DO YOU PLAN TO MONETIZE YOUR CONTENT? PLEASE SELECT ALL THAT APPLY - section so the PUBLISH option is not available. We would like to be a part of the RAF program. May we have an invite to the RAF program?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Westerns On The Web" wrote:
Howdy John. We have a channel built with InstantTV. Our channel is not published yet because we selected (My channel contains ads) in the HOW DO YOU PLAN TO MONETIZE YOUR CONTENT? PLEASE SELECT ALL THAT APPLY - section so the PUBLISH option is not available. We would like to be a part of the RAF program. May we have an invite to the RAF program?

Highly unlikely for RokuJohnC to reply, he hasn't logged in here for over a year.
Are you sure selecting "ads" as monetize option is the reason you cannot publish? 
And not, say, that bundle is not uploaded or submitted for review?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.