Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crs117
Visitor

Re: Eclipse Plugin for Brightscript

Guys,

I really want to thank you for the work you have done developing this plugin. I did my first demo channels using notepad++, back mid summer, but i have been so busy at my real programming job i havent gotten back to see the progress made in the development area.

This makes getting a channel setup so much more developer friendly...im looking forward to getting a couple contracts and using the hell out of it...

Cheers and happy new years.

-c
0 Kudos
greenpizza13
Visitor

When I attempt to export my BrightScript project, eclipse does nothing when I click on BrightScript Deployment and hit next. When I double click on BrightScript Deployment, eclipse says "Null pointer exception."

This is eclipse Indigo, with the most up-to-date brightscript plugin? Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"greenpizza13" wrote:
When I attempt to export my BrightScript project, eclipse does nothing when I click on BrightScript Deployment and hit next. When I double click on BrightScript Deployment, eclipse says "Null pointer exception."

This is eclipse Indigo, with the most up-to-date brightscript plugin? Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

I've verified this is a bug in the current version of the plugin and will file it in just a few minutes.
This happens when you attempt to export without having an editor window active.
The current workaround is to open any file for editing in your project first, then attempt the export.

Cheers
0 Kudos
greenpizza13
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply.
0 Kudos
brendanlong
Visitor

It would be nice if the export wizard remembered your Roku's IP address. During development, it seems like it won't change very often. Interestingly, it does remember what file to export to.
0 Kudos
brendanlong
Visitor

Also, every time you change the IP address in the Eclipse plugin's export screen it, automatically tries to connect. This is fairly annoying if the last octet of your Roku's IP address is 3 digits, since it will try and fail to connect twice before it lets you type in the full IP address.

Example:

IP Address: 10.0.0.123
User types 10.0.0.1
Eclipse plugin tries to connect to Roku (this takes around a minute, and the cancel button doesn't do anything)
User types 2
Eclipse plugin tries to connect again
User types 3
Eclipse plugin tries to connect again (and works this time)

It's even worse if you have a typo since it means two more connection attempts (one for the backspace, one for the correct digit).

And of course, it doesn't remember the IP next time so this happens every time you deploy.

I'm using Eclipse 3.7 on OSX Lion if that makes any difference.
0 Kudos

I'm trying to get this developement environment plugin working and it isn't loading. Nobody else is reporting a problem, and I'm assuming this is because I'm running on Tiger, OS X, carbon 32 version of helios and most others are either on a PC or running Leopard.

This is for the Advanced Brightscript plugin, but the basic wouldn't load for me either. They are not compatible with eachother, so you need to install one or the other.

I've been mucking about with this for a few weeks, deleting Eclipse and my Workspace and redownloading, running the updates, still nothing.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"brendanlong" wrote:
Also, every time you change the IP address in the Eclipse plugin's export screen it, automatically tries to connect.

<snip/>
And of course, it doesn't remember the IP next time so this happens every time you deploy.

FYI - the ip address drop-down bugs/issues (in both the export wizard and console view) are all known and filed, and will be fixed in the next release.

Cheers
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"melanie-Amaro" wrote:

I'm trying to get this developement environment plugin working and it isn't loading. Nobody else is reporting a problem, and I'm assuming this is because I'm running on Tiger, OS X, carbon 32 version of helios and most others are either on a PC or running Leopard.

This is for the Advanced Brightscript plugin, but the basic wouldn't load for me either. They are not compatible with eachother, so you need to install one or the other.

Based on that last statement, it sounds like you're referring to the old versions of the plugin on the domain.com website.
I've just removed those from the domain.com site as they are no longer supported and should be uninstalled and replaced with the new supported plugin available from Roku's developer website.

Please download the latest SDK and read the Eclipse Plugin Guide in the documents sub-directory for instructions about installation.

WRT OSX...

The plugin has not been tested on Tiger or Leopard, it has only been tested on: Snow Leopard (as well as Win7 Home Premium, Win7 Pro, WinXP Pro SP3, Ubuntu, and Debian).

BTW... Where exactly did you get a "carbon 32 version of helios".
My understanding is that Eclipse stopped supporting carbon with the release of Galileo (aka 3.5.x), and only supports cocoa from 3.6 forward.

Cheers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"malloys" wrote:
"brendanlong" wrote:
Also, every time you change the IP address in the Eclipse plugin's export screen it, automatically tries to connect.

<snip/>

FYI - the ip address drop-down bugs/issues (in both the export wizard and console view) are all known and filed, and will be fixed in the next release.

Cheers

Any ETA on said release? It's been nearly 5 months since the initial release, and so far the only update has been the addition of support for Eclipse 3.7. All of the issues I reported back in August and September are still present.. 😞
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos