Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TAC
Channel Surfer

Eclipse Brightscript Deployment error

I am building a new Eclipse/Brightscript IDE on a new computer for channel upgrade and 4K development with the Roku 4, so I want the latest of everything. I am following the instructions for the BrightScript Plugin Update at:

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... ugin+Guide

I am running Java 8 update 92, the dltk available at:

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/ ... ev/latest/

I'm running windows 10 workstation pro, 64bit.

To test, I'm creating simple new Brightscript projects, but getting an error in deployment that seems to be tied to Eclipse not being able to build a zip file. I get a dialog box labeled "BrightScript Deployment Error"
it contains

Error during zip file creation
Reason:
(there is no reason shown)

The details button brings up:

org.eclipse.ui.internal.wizards.datatransfer.ZipFileExporter.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Z)V

Clearing that dialog box brings up an identical dialog box where Reason: is listed as Unknown.

Eclipse does have access to a zip file creator, because I can export the project as a General->Archive file which produces a valid zip file with all the files in it.

Any idea what's wrong? We developed the existing channel using this IDE/Extensions so we really don't want to look for and learn another solution to update it.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RobSMS
Visitor

Re: Eclipse Brightscript Deployment error

Check your file permissions in the /out dir and delete the zip file there. Had the same problem a few months ago and that worked for me.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
TAC
Channel Surfer

"RobSMS" wrote:
Check your file permissions in the /out dir and delete the zip file there. Had the same problem a few months ago and that worked for me.

Thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem (I'd previously tried similar things, but went back and tried them all again.)

After your suggestion I even added Everyone to the file permissions for the out directory in the workspace project and to a directory I tried redirecting the zip output to on a SSD I often use for compiles, renders and transcodes. No luck.

I also tried to take the Britescript Core plugin apart by adding the PDE plugin to Eclipse but my skill set isn't good enough to handle debugging Eclipse plugins.

I'm guessing the problem happens when
com->Roku->brightscript->ide->eclipse->core->wizards->deployment->BrightScriptZipFileExportOperation.class
is called, but I can't get the PDE plugin to let me debug and breakpoint there.
0 Kudos
RobSMS
Visitor

Hmm.. did you try uninstalling Eclipse and re-installing it? Maybe something has gone corrupt.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
TAC
Channel Surfer

"RobSMS" wrote:
Hmm.. did you try uninstalling Eclipse and re-installing it? Maybe something has gone corrupt.

Thank you. Reinstall didn't work but wound up pointing me to the solution.

The short-form instructions say in part:
"Roku SDK DOC wrote:
The new plugin required Eclipse 4.5 (Mars) as a minimum, DLTK 5, and Java 8.

So I set out to try and duplicate the version that was probably on the developer's workstation at the time the new plugin was announced on the Roku Blog April 20, 2016. That would have been Eclipse Mars 2 (4.5.2) and DLTK 5.4.

When I install those, everything works great (I didn't mess with Java, I'm running 1.8.0_92 & 1.7.0_80). I run multiple eclipse installs anyway so the non-working Neon still exists and I'm happy to help beta-test a fix if whomever developed the plugin at/for Roku has a chance to revisit it.

Meanwhile, anyone who runs into this problem should be able to use this workaround. Eclipse works nicely with multiple installs customized for particular targets, so you aren't breaking anything by doing this.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TAC" wrote:
So I set out to try and duplicate the version that was probably on the developer's workstation at the time the new plugin was announced on the Roku Blog April 20, 2016. That would have been Eclipse Mars 2 (4.5.2) and DLTK 5.4.

Congrats - great forensics/postmortem/plugin-developer-mind-reading!

Something that shouldn't be required in the first place but time after time i see this plugin breaking with the smallest of changes of Eclipse versions. Is Eclipse really that fickle/fecal?
0 Kudos
level32
Visitor

I was on day 2 of this error and none of this helped except rolling back to Eclipse 4.5.2

Eclipse 4.6.0
BrightScript Core 1.1.0.201604082017 com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.feature.group Roku Inc.

We've been working on this project for a few weeks with no issue. Now I can't build or deploy.

Once I rolled back, it worked again.
0 Kudos