Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

As part of initiation into "Roku Billing Services Program", RokuCo requires submitting IRS forms W-9 or W-8BEN. As far as i know those are required when a (sub)contractor is paid 1099-MISC style. But the relationship between Roku Inc and developer - as established by "Roku Billing Services Agreement" - seems to be of a different kind, one in which RokuCo is providing billing services to developers. To wit:
"1. Introduction" wrote:
[Roku Inc will] perform the payment processing services corresponding to purchases of the Content. As payment for Roku’s services, Developer agrees that Roku may retain a portion of the revenues received

From what i know, Apple and Google also formalize their role in app purchases in the same way, as payment processors - but AFAIK they don't send 1099-MISC forms. Apple says:
"iTunes Connect, Banking and Tax FAQ" wrote:
Will Apple send a U.S. Tax Form 1099 for my sales?
No. Sales on the App Store are sales by you, the developer of copyrighted works, to end users. Therefore, Apple takes the position that payments made to you for these sales are payments for products or goods, which are specifically exempt from reporting on Form 1099 even though the payments may be taxable income to you.

You are responsible for determining your own tax obligations with respect to these payments. If you are uncertain of your tax obligations, we recommend that you consult with a tax professional.

How does this work in Roku Inc's case - does the company send 1099 tax forms at the end of the year?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Does Roku Inc send 1099 tax forms?

Yes. Roku sends 1099s for channel sales.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

Nope, you can't skip out on taxes, uncle sam knows how many channels you sold. Smiley LOL
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
Nope, you can't skip out on taxes, uncle sam knows how many channels you sold. Smiley LOL

No, it ain't like that. Even with no tax forms, there is still paper trail of bank deposits and when in doubt, payor can be subpoenaed - so can't commend hiding non-trivial income. Or even trivial one, in the case of Chase that would send me 1099-INT for 7 dollars and a few cents.

I am asking because how Roku Inc formalizes it affects tax paperwork.
Any idea what kind of form is it for individual/sole proprietor - 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, 1099-K... or something else?
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Usually 1099 MISC I believe.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
I am asking because how Roku Inc formalizes it affects tax paperwork.
Any idea what kind of form is it for individual/sole proprietor - 1099-MISC, 1099-DIV, 1099-K... or something else?

Can i get clarification from Roku*, please?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We send 1099-Misc.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thread update for posterity: per viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93365#p523744, RokuCo now sends 1099-K forms.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Roku does not sent 1099s for payments made through Paypal (unless it's over $20,000 or something like that). Payments made directly to a bank account (e.g., ad revenue) will be reported on a 1099.

At least that's my experience.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos