Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradC
Channel Surfer

DoUpgrade() - help needed

I'm just trying to release a demo channel. Should be straightforward, user downloads free demo channel, user hopefully likes it enough to click the "buy paid channel" button, and roku channel store lets them purchase from within the channel.

it's not going well.

I had a couple questions I hope someone can help with.

What is needed for an upgrade channel?

I have the sample doupgrade code in my channel. If the user selects the upgrade button, it simply calls the sample code as written.

On the "properties" page of the upgrade channel, there are 2 fields on the form.

"In-Channel Upgrade" - which is set to the paid channel they will be upgrading to.

"Upgrade Requires Add'l Purchase*" - which I do not understand. The help says "In order for customers to use the upgrade channel are they required to make a purchase other than buying the upgrade channel"

That makes no sense to me... what does that mean? It sounds like it wants me to say no, but I'd think I want to say yes. The customer will need to purchase the paid channel if they wish to upgrade.... they don't have to buy anything extra, just the channel. Which option do I want?

when I test this on a sideload, it says no upgrade available, which is expected, the docs say the store won't work on a sideload channel. This may be important, since the code completes execution, it just doesn't do anything other than say no upgrade is available.

If I try this on a channel loaded from the access code, the channel just exits when calling the doupgrade code. I don't know what this means, and there's nothing I can find documented anywhere. Is this what's supposed to happen? How can I test this?

Any help appreciated.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos