Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Direct Publisher being sunset in early 2024

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Direct Publisher being sunset in early 2024

Disappointing.  😞

Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Visionless.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
stephend
Channel Surfer

Since catching COVID, I think my brain is fried.  I no longer remember how to use the SDK.
Unless I get some help real soon, I think my Roku publishing days are coming to an end.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I'm in the process of writing some code to hopefully automate the process of converting to the limited scenegraph template.

Stay tuned...

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
mahadevllc
Reel Rookie

If you have a direct publisher channel published, is it possible to get a copy of the code that was rendered through that tool? The tool had to convert it to code for it to run. 

if this can be provided, it would help the developers maintain the look and feel and functionality of the channels rather than have  to create a whole channel from scratch. 

stephend
Channel Surfer

The channels are there. All I need to do is remember how to create and load the feed.

0 Kudos
TonyV1

Pathetic, 1st it was only SDK then Scenegraph okk it was a good improvement but still a learning process(time), now Direct Publisher out for a short time and then scrapped (more time). I have wwasted so much time trying to figure it all out and every time I get close you change the rules again. With all the holes in the development information of a fully functional channel makes it very difficult and very frustrating. not easy to swallow this time. FED UP. I cant afford 5-10k to make a simple channel for my owner operator company. Sick to my stomach from overwhelming frustration.  I have my own CDN Host, my own website, but not been able to find enough info to make php api for my simple roku Channel idea, was trying publisher to save time, which is of the essence. I understand you dont want it to be another YOUtub, jeeze make it easier to put up and go but stricter vetting for publishing to public.

THANKs again for cutting our throats.  

0 Kudos
stephend
Channel Surfer

I agree with your sentiments 100%.  This is very disappointing. We need to make representation to Roku about this. 

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

@RokuJonathanDwas the thread on this topic that was in the Direct Publisher subforum deleted??

This is bananas.  First off, that post was in the correct subforum, as many Direct Publisher users never venture onto this part of the board. Secondly, we had an active discussion going on which helped other users go thru the conversion to SDK process, including things not mentioned in the instructions. (For instance:  To remove the second instance of the FEED_URL in the original Manifest file. Something the instructions do not mention to do). This would definitely benefit future converters to know this info. Also, again just seeing an active thread on the subject may alert many DP users.

It makes no sense to have removed that thread. Again, it was in the correct subforum, not a 'duplicate post' if that was the reasoning. Also I don't think Brightscript coders are going to want to read about us DP users in this sub, constantly posting about our problems in the conversion. It's very likely to remain an active topics throughout the remainder of the year so will be better off staying in the Direct Publisher sub.