Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices MAC Address?

Is there a method to search and find the devices MAC address of the network device currently used (wired / wireless)?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Devices MAC Address?

There is not a method to get the MAC address. We are discouraging the using any unique HW identifier in any form of user account linking or authorization. We would like a factory reset on the device to assure the user that all personally identifying information including user accounts on different channels associated with the box is removed from the box. This requirement is not met if sites are using the Mac address to associate accounts as it survives a factory reset.

If you refer to the Device Registration and Linking guide, we discuss a "rendezvous" linking method that is an easy way to associate the box with a user account on your site and is also an association that is broken when the user does a factory reset on the box.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
There is not a method to get the MAC address. We are discouraging the using any unique HW identifier in any form of user account linking or authorization. We would like a factory reset on the device to assure the user that all personally identifying information including user accounts on different channels associated with the box is removed from the box. This requirement is not met if sites are using the Mac address to associate accounts as it survives a factory reset.

If you refer to the Device Registration and Linking guide, we discuss a "rendezvous" linking method that is an easy way to associate the box with a user account on your site and is also an association that is broken when the user does a factory reset on the box.

--Kevin

I think that Netflix uses the boxes serial number.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
I think that Netflix uses the boxes serial number.

Netflix is known to track the number of devices you use streaming from, but not for the purpose of authorizing account access. AFAIK, they use it only for limiting the straming devices for an account to some sane (or draconian, depending on your view) limit. Supposedly they have an interface now where you can list and de-register a streaming device if you've hit your limit, but I haven't seen it. I've read reports that in the past you could easily call up support and they could remove a device from your account (and they supposedly knew the MAC and OS).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

It's OK to use the SN to allow the user to identify a particular box on your site, but it should not be used to associate the box to an account in authorization.

The factory reset works properly to disassociate the box from Netflix, Amazon, MLB, and other major partners.... Rendezvous linking is very doable.

--Kevin
0 Kudos