Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

Hi

Could anyone point me to documentation and samples Brightscript code for detecting the presence and then interpreting the movements from a remote handset?

E.g (like Roku 2 and 3) that feature this movement capability - not sure what the correct term for it is.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Detecting and Using the movement sensors in remote

This is not currently available as a public api, except via https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
This is not currently available as a public api, except via https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

- Joel
A bit shortsighted on Roku's part IMO. I would have built a keyboard with a mouse-like cursor already ( couldn't have been that much more work than the one I already built) and probably would have open-sourced it here to thank folks for all the help Ive gotten on this board. That is in the unlikely event someone didn't beat me to it.
Instead... No soup for us!

Really not clear on what the big secret is.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"squirreltown" wrote:
Really not clear on what the big secret is.

No big secret, just the APIs we have in place for brightscript are not quite up to par with the rest of the SDK, and we don't want to release anything that we would have to change in the future and break published channels.

Not sure what you mean about a keyboard. If you wanted to pass in motion events from a home built device or an IOS app over the tcp/ip network, that info is documented in the ECP Guidlines

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Not sure what you mean about a keyboard. If you wanted to pass in motion events from a home built device or an IOS app over the tcp/ip network...

Gee it seems pretty obvious to me. Use the Roku remote to move a cursor around the screen. A big improvment over the way it's done now. "Home built device"? Not sure that's the answer. If only Roku included some sort of hand-held motion sensing device with their boxes... :roll:
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You mentioned something about building a device:
"squirreltown" wrote:
I would have built a keyboard with a mouse-like cursor already ( couldn't have been that much more work than the one I already built) and probably would have open-sourced it here

- Joel
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuJoel" wrote:
You mentioned something about building a device:
"squirreltown" wrote:
I would have built a keyboard with a mouse-like cursor already ( couldn't have been that much more work than the one I already built) and probably would have open-sourced it here

Not a device, a software keyboard that uses an onscreen cursor instead of the d-pad.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
Not a device, a software keyboard that uses an onscreen cursor instead of the d-pad.

Sadly, the experience likely will be like typing on a Wii with the "WiiMote". After doing that a few times, i think i know the real purpose of the "leash" - so one does not throw the remote in rage at the TV :D. I suspect that's why RokuCo did not include motion keyboard as an option, usability did not pan out.
0 Kudos