Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landish
Visitor

Connect Roku to motion sensor

Hi, I was looking for a programmable video player which i can connect it to a motion sensor and run a video when some one trigger the sensor, so wondering if i can do that with the roku player .. and which board do you recommend and how i can do that ?

Thanks
Ayman
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Connect Roku to motion sensor

Roku's somewhat sister company, BrightSign is probably a better bet for this application. www.brightsign.biz
0 Kudos
EngoTom
Visitor

If you were already on the channel to play video and If the motion sensor were connected to a PC.

You could write a PC app that sends the telnet commands to play/stop/pause as required to the roku device triggered from your mosion sensor events.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

You could even figure out the sequence of commands to send via telnet to find, display and play the video and put them in a batch file that you dump to the telnet port. Might need to have some pauses to allow the Roku to keep up. You could start the batch off with the Home command so that the Roku returned to the top. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could write a Roku video app that interacts with a pc or mac attached or embedded-system based monitoring device and do all kinds of fun stuff.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos