Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thetick
Roku Guru

Check channel memory used?

Is there a way to query the channel memory with the SDK? I would like to see the list of channels / version / channel memory installed / channel memory free.

Something like (I just pulled numbers off my head since I have no idea the memory footprint of channels or too lazy to lookup recent version numbers):

Model Roku3 - 4200 - 256MB channel memory on board plus 1.8GB SD Memory

Angry Birds Space (v1.1.6) -- 20MB
Netflix (v1.4.2) -- 5MB
Amazon (v2.1.2) -- 1MB

Totals: channel memory free 10MB
SD memory free 1.6GB

I have C/C++ and shell scripting experience so if there is an example or specific BrightScript API call for this in I can figure out the layout for the above.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Check channel memory used?

"Channel memory used" is not really a meaningful concept for devices running 5.x firmware. The channel memory is used as a cache of the most recently used channels. If you open a channel that's not in memory, the channel is downloaded and, if necessary, enough least recently channels are removed from the cache to make room. So the amount of channel memory in use at any point in time wouldn't really tell you anything useful.

--Mark
0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

Thanks for the quick response.

So with the Roku 3 there is no limit to the number channels since if the local memory and SD card are full the Roku will just pull "installed" channels from the online channel store. So am I correct guessing the SD is always used first if available and uses a LRU write thru cache algorithm to keep the latest used channels stored on the SD card?
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Only the first generation boxes have channel storage limits. All the boxes after the XDS work as Mark says.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos