Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bosborne
Visitor

Canceling in-channel subscription

How do my end-users cancel in-channel subscription products after they purchase? I saw this page which describes how to cancel subscriptions that apply to the whole channel, but what about in-channel subscription items? Also, when they DO cancel, will it immediately end their subscription (and thus they will no longer have a "product" returned in roChannelStore's getPurchases()?), or will it end it on a specific date to give them the full month they pre-paid for?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Canceling in-channel subscription

Interesting question! I'll keep an eye here if the-powers-that-be respond - but in the mean time the same advice as in the other thread applies - what do your experiments show? E.g. make 2 separate subscription products and subscribe the same user to both in the same channel - then using cancel subscription from the "*"-menu, what happens?
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

Did some testing with a private channel and test user. The in-channel subscription indeed appears in the list of subscriptions for a user in the user's Roku control panel, and there's an option to cancel the subscription. Once canceled, the transaction was still appearing in the list of roChannelStore's getPurchases which is good, I assume it will go away once 30 days has passed.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"bosborne" wrote:
Did some testing with a private channel and test user. The in-channel subscription indeed appears in the list of subscriptions for a user in the user's Roku control panel, and there's an option to cancel the subscription.

By "Roku control panel" (?!) do you mean the web, https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions ?
I myself was wondering about the player itself - when you press the remote Options button
  • while over the installed channel in home screen, in the local menu that pops up there would be "cancel subscription" - and since potentially there could be >1 per channel, what happens if that is chosen?
  • 0 Kudos
    TheEndless
    Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
    in the local menu that pops up there would be "cancel subscription" - and since potentially there could be >1 per channel, what happens if that is chosen?

Isn't that option only there for subscription channels, rather than in-channel subscriptions?
    My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
    Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
    0 Kudos
    EnTerr
    Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
    Isn't that option only there for subscription channels, rather than in-channel subscriptions?

<shrug> i dunno. how does that "subscription channels" thing even work?! if i cancel subscription from that menu, will it delete the channel? or does it just decline starting next? or does the channel start but has to check its status somehow (?!). what If the monthly payment has failed? what if subscription was canceled outside the player? it brings so many questions, both as user and developer
    0 Kudos
    renojim
    Community Streaming Expert

"TheEndless" wrote:

No. I have an in-channel subscription and the option shows up. I only have one subscription available, though. Maybe I'll add a second in-channel subscription and see what happens, although how often would you need two or more different subscriptions?

-JT
    Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
    If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
    0 Kudos