Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Brief summary of advantages of ditching classic Rokus?

I understand it's time to move on and no longer support old Rokus limited to the old firmware 3.1 - what I'd like is a brief overview of the most useful or important functions and abilities that 3.1 COULDN'T do, which I can now start to use in my 2D API game. Here are a few I know of:

- roAssociativeArray - Count()
- roAudioResource - "On Roku "Classic" models, roAudioResource does not support mixing of sounds." So now I don't have to worry about that.
- roString - ifStringOps - Replace()

What about roTextureManager?

My problem is that since I was planning to release for classic models too, I pretty much always ignored newer abilities if they weren't compatible, so now I'd like to "catch up"!

So what else are key things?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Brief summary of advantages of ditching classic Rokus?

To name a few, based on what I have explicit legacy checks for in my code...
  • roAppInfo

• SetTimedMetaDataForKeys for roAudioPlayer and roVideoPlayer

• roCaptionRenderer for roVideoPlayer

• roChannelStore

• Numerous additions to roDeviceInfo

• Opacity in ifDraw2D.DrawObject

• Loading and Error posters on roGridScreen

• Cookie support in ifHttpAgent (though I have my own cookie parser that I just more)

• RetainBodyOnError on roUrlTransfer

• Breadcrumb text on roListScreen

• SmallIconUrl on roListScreen

• Localization support

• roTextScreen

• roTextureManager

• FormatJSON()

• Button separators on roMessageDialog
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

A lot less remote controls and little boxes all over the place
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"NewManLiving" wrote:

Hehe.. remember when all you had was a Roku 3? 😛
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Yes I remember. Now I have everything except the ROKU TV. Maybe you can give me some insight. I believe it has a 1G processor but no open GL. If I'm correct how is the performance compared to the new stick which I have come to appreciate
It is great to take with you as you mentioned on another post. I find that with 1,2 and LTE I have to make some adjustments with the 2D to keep things flowing. Been able to get good results especially with a redesign that uses less drawtext and employs region offsetting whenever possible as opposed to coordinate offsetting. Those two things gave me a 85-90 comparable look and feel to the higher models. I have a carousel in one app that fades in and out and to do this I was using an offset and a fade at the same time. Was a real dog. But when I changed it to region offsetting and region fading there was a huge difference just a slight jerk from time to time. Even my grid works good since it was mostly region offsetting to begin with. But I had to remove some of the open gl region tricks that I learned
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Yes I remember. Now I have everything except the ROKU TV. Maybe you can give me some insight. I believe it has a 1G processor but no open GL. If I'm correct how is the performance compared to the new stick which I have come to appreciate

It's a good bit faster than the stick. I'd probably put it about halfway between the stick and the Roku 3, performance wise.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
...Been able to get good results especially with a redesign that uses less drawtext and employs region offsetting whenever possible as opposed to coordinate offsetting. Those two things gave me a 85-90 comparable look and feel to the higher models. I have a carousel in one app that fades in and out and to do this I was using an offset and a fade at the same time. Was a real dog. But when I changed it to region offsetting and region fading there was a huge difference just a slight jerk from time to time...

This sounds promising to me 8-) Can you explain a bit more what you mean by region offsetting/fading vs coordinate offsetting and fading? How were you doing the fading before and after, and what is the offsetting you're talking about? :?:
0 Kudos
MatroxRT
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"NewManLiving" wrote:

Hehe.. remember when all you had was a Roku 3? 😛

This must be why they refreshed the Roku 2/3 this week. Well... the Devs will have more room on their desks now, so we need them to buy a few more new Roku's. 🙂

Speaking of which, how do either of you organize your Roku's on your desk?
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

NewManLiving wrote:
...Been able to get good results especially with a redesign that uses less drawtext and employs region offsetting whenever possible as opposed to coordinate offsetting. Those two things gave me a 85-90 comparable look and feel to the higher models. I have a carousel in one app that fades in and out and to do this I was using an offset and a fade at the same time. Was a real dog. But when I changed it to region offsetting and region fading there was a huge difference just a slight jerk from time to time...

This sounds promising to me 8-) Can you explain a bit more what you mean by region offsetting/fading vs coordinate offsetting and fading? How were you doing the fading before and after, and what is the offsetting you're talking about? :?:

Region offsetting involves using a bitmap as a buffer for a row of posters, or in the case of a menu, a page of text lines. Or in animation a buffer of frames. The concept involves pretty much the same as I described in my m pointer post. The grid example uses region offsetting as opposed to coordinate offsetting to move the grid as the user scrolls. In a more complex form you can make the buffer virtual and keep adding to it while keeping the virtual portion hidden with the size of the region. So if you have a five poster row say 100x100 you would create a bitmap buffer 100x5 + 100 for the virtual portion. The region size would be 100x100 thus hiding the virtual portion. As the user scrolls the new poster is written to the buffer and then goes into a easing loop to move or offset only the region. So what happens is that since the region is now moving the poster at the left is scrolled out of the region and the new poster is exposed. This involves only one drawobject. On the other hand if you went through a loop of poster bitmaps and drew them each time the user scrolls then you would have a great deal of drawing going on as you recalculated each x coordinate in your easing loop and had to redraw each poster as the coordinates changed. This slows things down substantially on the slower boxes
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Sorry had to go. In the example I described the carousel has three such buffers each holding different perspectives of the carousel. So that was really choppy. Scrolling by coordinate offsetting would probably not be so bad with just one row at a time. But the more you add and anything else you add into the easing loop such as fades takes a toll on the low end boxes. So for me region offsetting proved to be a great deal smoother and faster.
0 Kudos