Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ezraz
Visitor

Audio Player & Video Player as Separate Categories?

OK, I've adapted the videoplayer example to load up my categories and point to various videos stored on my webserver. It's sideloaded and working on my box. I'm personalizing graphics and, I suppose, finishing v1 of my channel.

v2 requires something I can't figure out yet -- I want a category that plays my mp3 stream. I have all my content properties (bands and artists) as categories - I envision the stream being in the categories with my other content properties, but they will all lead to another leaf of videos and other content, while this is the only thing under it's leaf. I want the stream to play immediately when selecting the category, with transport controls, artist/song, and any branding I can get on that screen.

I'm not seeing how to connect from my Categories.xml to the NPR.brs code that will stream audio. Do I drag the NPR.brs code into my Videoplayer source directory? Is there something in the manifest, or roSpringBoard, or CategoryFeed.brs?

If you could give me a top-level overview of how to incorporate an audio player page such as AudioApp as a category on Videoplayer that would be helpful. I've read through the SDK and the forums and I know I'm missing something basic about how the roku channels are compiled and stored.

Thanks for any help...
Ezraz of Collinwood
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
chris2
Channel Surfer

Re: Audio Player & Video Player as Separate Categories?

Exraz,

I'm trying to do the exact same thing but am running into the same issue. I figured their should be a way of setting a function to call for the audioapp springboard when an audio format is listed in the XML file...?

If you do or have come up with a solution, please post a response and I'll do likewise.

Thanks
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Audio Player & Video Player as Separate Categories?

That is pretty much how you would do it - use one of the existing XML tags, or (create a new one and add to the parser at the bottom of ShowFeed.brs) to determine if the content is audio or video and you could either have a separate function to show the springboard, or decide to call an audio playback function or a video playback function from within the springboard when the user hits play. You could also integrate an audio playback mechanism into your springboard screen function itself.

- Joel
0 Kudos