Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacktp
Channel Surfer

remote control does not take batteries

I’ve had my Roku ultra for a few months and it's been fine.  However, I started getting messages that the batteries were running low in the remote control.  When it got down to 0%, I tried to open it to replace with new batteries.  It was impossible to open.  I called customer support, which was not very helpful.  First I was told to press the three lines on the back of the remote and push with my thumb, but this model does not have the three lines.  Then I was told to pull on the purple Roku logo tag at the bottom and it would open the remote.  That did not work, it didn’t budge.  Then they suggested sticking something sharp in the crack between the front and back of the remote.  That was difficult but after much effort, I pulled it apart to learn that...there are no batteries inside.  It looks more like some small type of circuit board.

I don’t know what kind of remote this is but it doesn’t work anymore, and there is way to put batteries in anyway.  How does this thing work, or more importantly, how do I get a replacement that DOES work?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: remote control does not take batteries

@jacktp-

It sounds like you have a Roku Voice Remote Pro.  This model has a rechargeable battery.  There is a port on the bottom of the remote, under the purple Roku tag, where you can plug in a micro-USB cable connected to a charger.  If it is still functional after tearing it apart, you should be able to charge it and use it.

If the battery went totally dead, I don't know if it will retain its settings.  Once charged, you may need to pair it back to your Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

While you’re in there, could you take a picture and post it?  I assume it uses a LiPo battery, but I’ve had trouble searching up an interior picture online.  In general, it’s not good to run LiPos all the way to 0%, but possibly Roku made their meter pessimistic so 0% on the meter is really not all the way to 0.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
jacktp
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply, you're probably right.  I'll give it a try once I find a micros USB cable.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Strega2, I posted this in another thread a few months ago, but here it is again.

20230528_131557.jpg

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jacktp
Channel Surfer

Yes - that is exactly what I have.  I have it charging now and will see if it takes.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Thanks!  I assume the third wire is for a temperature sensor.  It probably has undervoltage protection too.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos